When to bring home Skinny ray.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Twice a day feeding isn’t enough for any young fish, IME. Especially when using prazi. That’s like a cup of coffee and chewing tobacco in your lip. They poop so much, they’ll starve to death, if not fed many times a day. Just my $.02
GL

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Twice a day feeding isn’t enough for any young fish, IME. Especially when using prazi. That’s like a cup of coffee and chewing tobacco in your lip. They poop so much, they’ll starve to death, if not fed many times a day. Just my $.02
GL
oh... thanks , I'll bring home my ray later and try to feed 3-4 time small
Portions daily . Hope i'm able to fatten him
Up

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I dont know anything about rays but it looks worse in the more recent pictures.
its a good move to bring it home so you can give it some intensive care, hope you have the tank cycled firts though?
Good luck with it , will be a nice fish once its past all the initial problems.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I dont know anything about rays but it looks worse in the more recent pictures.
its a good move to bring it home so you can give it some intensive care, hope you have the tank cycled firts though?
Good luck with it , will be a nice fish once its past all the initial problems.
Thanks, my tank is cycled :) i removed the pleco in the big tank . hopefully i can fatten her up and she can recover quickly.
i'll check Ph, if our tanks ph are almost the same i'll just float the bag for half an hr to get the temperature close before releasing.
its been a while since Bds became available here, so had no choice but to take the ray home quickly as it will be bought in a day or 2.
but did not notice it was this thin since it was in a Koi tub.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Have bot seen her eat here at my tank yet, but saw her eat at my friends tank before i brought her home.
Its harder to feed in a bigger tank i think? The food gets blown away instead of dropping on her. Hope she is able to eat soon :(
I personally would not have moved a ray this skinny. If it was eating at your neighbors house, I would have left it there until it had put on some weight. Sometimes after rays are moved, they go on hunger strikes even though your water may be perfect because they get stressed by a move. This seems to be on an individual basis but I wouldn't chance it with a ray like that.

However, what is done is done. My advice is to get live earthworms and use those. Stingrays are very sensitive to electrical signals put out by potential prey items, and this can be used to provoke a feeding response.

As soon as you get her eating, feed her a lot. She has been either riddled with parasites or denied a proper diet for quite some time to look like that. These things do not happen overnight. If you have already offered her 5 small meals a day, and she is back begging for more food, give it to her. Increase your water changes as well, and with good water and proper feedings, she should bounce back although it may take some time to undo this much damage, but is completely possible.

On a side note, it might be best to avoid whoever sold you this ray in this future.

Best of luck, and if you have any questions or need any further help, feel free to message me!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store