Where can I find "rare cichlids"

florencejr11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2015
Fresno
With the news of Dan over at COTA. I no longer have a reliable source to purchase these rarer cichlids such as Beani, All the different Umbee variants, RTMs, Yellow Jackets, etc . I honestly don't even bother with my LFS for live stock cause it's the same fish over and over. I'm aware of Matt and TUIC. Any other sources?

Also if these fish aren't considered rare I apologize but I consider them rare due to the fact I never seen them in person. Only available online.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sad, another amazing vendor lost to us. Thank you florencejr11 florencejr11 for the heads up and BIG-G BIG-G for the link. florencejr11 florencejr11 while P phreeflow is right in Wes being an amazing source of rare fish his selection of cichlids is usually geared to truly rare cichlids such as Retrolucus as an example but usually more common in his lists are rare PBass and Crenichla IME though he does have some Umbee right now. Kevin at TangleUpInCichlids/TUIC is a good source. If memory serves, I haven't seen Beani or Umbee too often, but he does get them(I might be confusing TUIC back when Jeff ran it). And I have seen RTM's and I believe Yellow Jackets on TUIC. If you're interested and tell him what you're looking for, I have a feeling Kevin could help you out.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I like paroozing wet spot, lot of rare md/sm cichlids. No tankbusters like in your post, but some solid rarity.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
With the news of Dan over at COTA. I no longer have a reliable source to purchase these rarer cichlids such as Beani, All the different Umbee variants, RTMs, Yellow Jackets, etc . I honestly don't even bother with my LFS for live stock cause it's the same fish over and over. I'm aware of Matt and TUIC. Any other sources?

Also if these fish aren't considered rare I apologize but I consider them rare due to the fact I never seen them in person. Only available online.
I know you said you're aware of Matt and TUIC, but TUIC does still get every parachromis except fred/multi, black/rio mag umbees, all mesoheros, all nandopsis except ramsdeni, amphilophus citrinellum/labiatus/trimac/lyonsi, a variety of herichthys and vieja, some of the new species of oscars, caquetaia, etc. Wetspot the same, just without localities. Bartoni can be found on DRAF.

It is gonna suck not having a source for beani, green umbees, wild nanolutea/panamensis/nicaraguensis, asfraci, chuco, and labridens for awhile however. Glad I got my green umbee from him though

1000039822.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like paroozing wet spot, lot of rare md/sm cichlids. No tankbusters like in your post, but some solid rarity.
I used to enjoy checking their site before they re did it.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019

Dave’s rare fish

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used to get lots of cichlids from a guy called Pleco Pete (everthing from beanii, to rare Tangayikans, and of course Pleco's)
I believe he's from Michigan, but he would show up at most of the gcca events in Chicago, and would post what he bred a few weeks before their events, and take orders thru the gcca classifieds of the Greater Chicago Cichlid Assn.
That was about 10 years ago though, and I'm not sure if he shipped cichlids. I would drive the 100 or so miles 2 or 3 times a year. to those events just to get his stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store