Where do they belong?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
I'd like to start off by saying these are academic questions to try and learn, not so much because I'm planning on getting them.

So what different kinda are there? The only ones I know of are jeweled cichlids and my Bleekeri. Clearly it's a large enough/specialized enough group to have its own forum spot.

Also as the post implies, where do they belong (as far as tank mates go)? Can they only mix with fish of their region or can you mix them with African lake or ca/sa cichlids? And if not, why (apart from the obvious water quality differences)?

That's all I can think of immediately but I'm sure I'll have more.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
There are tons of African cichlids outside of the Rift Lakes. All of the popular Central and West African cichlids (Pelvicachromis, Enigmatochromis, Steatocranus, Pelmatochromis, Congochromis, Hemichromis, Heterochromis, Coptodon, etc.) would fall under this section, in addition to the Madagascar and Asian cichlids: Iranocichla, Etroplus, Paratilapia, Paretroplus, Ptcychochromis, and so on.

These species cover a huge geographical area and come from a wide range of ecosystems (rivers, lakes, swamps) with varying water parameters. Mixing them with other fish is sometimes possible, sometimes not. It really is down to the species you're interested in. There's no one answer.

There are West African fish who like low pH and soft water in the mid to high 70s Fahrenheit, and there are cichlids like Alcolapia alcalica from Lake Natron where the water has high salinity, a pH over 8, and a temperature that can exceed 100F. And everything in between.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Very broad answer but I guess that matches the question =P Ill look more into some of the types you listed. Thanks!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find Madagascan cichlids, and African cichlids are quite different.
If you go along with the theory that Madagascar actually broke off from India (as I do) this may influence your tank mate choices, that is, if you're trying to be geographically correct.
I try to keep the Paratilapia complex (polleni etc) with other Madagascans, and there are many interesting species to choose from.
Those damba of the genus Paretroplus like
kieneri

menerambo

maculatus

or the genus Ptychochromis ie sp "tarantsy"

to name just a few of many

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store