Where do y’all get your rope fish from?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Why did you put captive in quotation marks?

I get that they tend to be weakened from capturing and die often in quarantine but do they ship well? I’m thinking that if they ship well I might buy them from other aquarists instead of playing Russian roulette with my lfs.
Yeah magpie magpie shipped me 3 that she had for quiet a while. She used wetspot to ship they were totally fine. Poly species ship well I think from their ability to breath air. As long as there is enough air in the bag they should actually ship better then most fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I know I can get a ropefish from liveaquaria as they were one of the sites I've seen them at but I don't know just how well the ropes would do. Liveaquaria is very credible but I don't know if they take the time to properly care for the ropefish. Their reputation is very good so that is in their favor but I am hesitant still about trusting them.

twentyleagues twentyleagues Ahh yes, I remember reading the thread where you posted about her sending you them. It was a joy to read.

Now, I know the wetspot gets in the majority of their fish as wild caught so lets assume I get wild ropefish, just what are the chances of them surviving do yall think?

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I know I can get a ropefish from liveaquaria as they were one of the sites I've seen them at but I don't know just how well the ropes would do. Liveaquaria is very credible but I don't know if they take the time to properly care for the ropefish. Their reputation is very good so that is in their favor but I am hesitant still about trusting them.

twentyleagues twentyleagues Ahh yes, I remember reading the thread where you posted about her sending you them. It was a joy to read.

Now, I know the wetspot gets in the majority of their fish as wild caught so lets assume I get wild ropefish, just what are the chances of them surviving do yall think?
No such thing as a CB ropefish so odds are the same as anyone else who takes proper steps to ensure they have healthy stock before they go to you. Wetspot is really good so you will probably be ok.
Only 3 people have bred ropefish in captivity and none of the spawn survived longer then 3 months.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I know that there is no chance of getting a captive bred one, I was just trying to set the scene for the scenario.
I'm assuming I'll have to treat the ropefish since they'll be wild. Do any of yall have an idea of what medicines I should get beforehand or any tips?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thank you, I will get those.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Wetspot has lots of CB fish, too, just not ropes for reasons mentioned by twenty. They don't sell their fish immediately - they have a separate area from their store were they take care of their new fish, from what I understand. They used to be my LFS and I got nothing but healthy fish from them that never needed treatment and always ate well. Not saying you shouldn't still treat them as a preventative, but if you decide to get ropes shipped to you, I'd highly recommend them as a source. I'm a big fan as you can tell, in part because of their fish health and in part how they treated me and my fish for shipping to 2 different MFK peeps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store