Where Freshwater Stingrays Are Illegal To End All

MChorse13

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
california
what about teacup sting rays im most likely wrong but i read somewhere on here that they arnt actually sting rays but something else not sure what tho

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
They're Potamotrydonidae and illegal in CA. The only legal "FW" rays are the few Dasyatidae rays that can be adjusted to FW conditions under limited circumstances (extreme maintenance, over-filtration, etc.).

CarpeD1em500

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
Sandy Springs, GA
Just out of curiosity, what would happen to someone who had a tank in one state, say, South Carolina, and moved into a new home in Georgia, with the tank?

(with FW ray, naturally)...

I mean, I've never heard of the fish police before - how are these laws actually enforced?

(seems to me a lot like firework laws - people can just drive a few hours and circumvent them???)

bcarlos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
African_Fever;1795660; said:
I don't know if there are any restricted fish in Canada. In 20 years in the hobby I've never come across a single thing or even mention. Rays are ok in all provinces because our water is just too cold for anything to survive if it escaped or was released.

All species of Snake Head are recognized as "invasive" and are illegal in Ontario.

bernyberns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2010
ohio
CarpeD1em500;4304362; said:
Just out of curiosity, what would happen to someone who had a tank in one state, say, South Carolina, and moved into a new home in Georgia, with the tank?

(with FW ray, naturally)...

I mean, I've never heard of the fish police before - how are these laws actually enforced?

(seems to me a lot like firework laws - people can just drive a few hours and circumvent them???)
thats what im saying..you only hear of people getting busted when they are stung/bitten, or snitched on. i know i wouldnt be ditching my ray

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
wolfsangel;2280128; said:
"
Prohibited Exotic Species

The organisms listed on this page are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/

so ahah, so they are "illegal" but you can have them with a permit! *plots*
dang texas sucks!!! :irked: im moving!! but what am i goin to do about my texas flag tattoo :(

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
Glad Louisiana is in the legal zone.

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Cool, Im moving from California to North Carolina! Time to start doing my ray research!

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
OK, so i looked up on google if freshwater rays were illegal in AZ, and it said you needed a permit.

So...Would this mean its restricted in my state?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store