Where to buy Amatitlania sp.?

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
I have a 40 breeder behind me aquascaped with driftwood and rocks, and I wanted to dedicate it to one Amatitlania species, anything like:

- Sajica
- Nanoluteus
- Honduran Red Points
- Myrnae
- Siquia

Sajica would be my first choice, but every LFS around me looks at me like I have 3 heads when I ask if they have them on any of their order sheets.

Is there a place local to the St. Louis area where I could get my hands on these? I've never shipped fish, and I am terrified of the thought. I would consider it if no other options, but I figured I would ask here before going that route!

Thanks

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
What size are you looking for? I have a few extra F1 Siquia males 3-4" and a few .5" F2 fry growing out. They spawned in community tank so I was only able to save a few. I didn't realize I still had a female in there beforehand...lol. Like stated above, if you can't find anything near you, it's another option. GL on the search.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMO sajica get too big for 40 breeder, the others might work.
The male pair of sajica I had grew way to tall for a low tank like that.
In the pic below he was @ 6-8" long and almost as tall, I believe in a tank that size he would have killed any other fish, including the female.

A 75 gal or larger would be more the proper size tank.

Myrnae below in a 75, the male hit around 6", which I consider need at least a 60 gal tank

The red points, nanoluteus, or siquia would be better options for your tank.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
The Siquia get rather large also. That's just from reading up on them though, not actual experience keeping them yet. They're growing out in a 40 breeder at the moment and definitely growing faster than any of my other Amatitlania I have.

Reactions: PoopSmart

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
I'm not really worried about the size as I have an empty 75 gallon collecting dust I could set up should they get too large.

The consensus sounds like shipping is the best option though which is what I was afraid of!

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
P.S. - Thanks for all the input, and those are great Sajica specimens Duanes! You can't show me those beautiful pictures though and then tell me not to get them! That's just cruel!

• Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Shipping is no different than buying at a LFS other than they are in the bag a little longer. Same acclimation procedures apply - float the bags to regulate the temp, net them out & drop them in. Any reputable website will have little issue getting your fish to you. Only drawback is shipping costs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store