Where to buy fish with out getting killed by shipping

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I would go with aquarium fish sale. They are having a 25% off sale (on all fish I THINK)
And if you buy $159 or more $s worth of fish and/or supplies they will pay the shipping to anywhere in the amazing USA ;) :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Man I guess it depends on where you live. They have quoted me ranging from $100-200 for the same fish depending on when I contacted them. Just for shipping. And I’ve had others only charge $30-40 for the same size fish from a similar or the same distance. I live in Texas.
Monster has charged me more for shipping than Wes or Jojo has and Wes is all the way on the other side of the damned country.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Monster has charged me more for shipping than Wes or Jojo has and Wes is all the way on the other side of the damned country.
It sucks bcause they definitely get some of the coolest fish and usually good prices. I was told the reason was because they only shipped guaranteed by 2pm. So I bit the bullet and ordered a Cuban gar at $100 shipping. Showed up at 8pm and the label indicated they did not pay for by 2pm. Ultimately the fish is doing just fine. I guess they have cheap prices but make up for it by pocketing shipping fees.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It sucks bcause they definitely get some of the coolest fish and usually good prices. I was told the reason was because they only shipped guaranteed by 2pm. So I bit the bullet and ordered a Cuban gar at $100 shipping. Showed up at 8pm and the label indicated they did not pay for by 2pm. Ultimately the fish is doing just fine. I guess they have cheap prices but make up for it by pocketing shipping fees.
That certainly could be the case.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you are "not" near a large Airline Hub, or an airport that connects to the Hub, the vendor normally uses, shipping cost will be higher.
Its all about proximity.
When I lived in Milwaukee a Southwest Airlines Hub, I could get heavy fish boxes fairly inexpensively thru that airline, whereas a tiny box fro say, Seattle on another airline would cost the same.
Its also about the weight, a large fish like a semi adult gar, will cost an arm and a leg, compared to a bag of fry that only need a little water, so inevitably cost considerably less.
Also in the midwest, there is a service call Speedee delivery (which covered an area of about 5 states) that I could ship fish (within those states)for around $20, and they would pick them up at my door and deliver that same way.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Really??? That’s weird. I don’t get them to ship to me but I know Charney Charney has had them ship to him and it was cheaper then the tolls to go into queens...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store