Where to buy freshwater stingrays in uk?

User name®

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2019
Hello, I've been interested in freshwater stingrays for a while and maybe want to buy a hystrix stingray pup in the future, finding information about their care and housing has been easy but I haven't really found anywhere that sell freshwater stingrays in the uk, any ideas? Thanks for any replies.

Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hello, I've been interested in freshwater stingrays for a while and maybe want to buy a hystrix stingray pup in the future, finding information about their care and housing has been easy but I haven't really found anywhere that sell freshwater stingrays in the uk, any ideas? Thanks for any replies.
Hi there mate, I have lots of pups available but no Hystrix sorry

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
For hystrix your best bet is wharf aquatics. Other then that top stingrays on Facebook should be able to get your a pair.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Don't use top stingrays. I know way too many people who have lost rays purchased from this guy. I myself bought a BD from him and nearly lost my entire collection due to a virus.

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
Don't use top stingrays. I know way too many people who have lost rays purchased from this guy. I myself bought a BD from him and nearly lost my entire collection due to a virus.
Yes I have heard this also, but I presumed that was caused by mixing Ray's. I'd have thought if they are the only Ray's to go into the tank then cross contamination wont happen as there are no other Ray's to x com with. Could be wrong.

I also wont buy from him as my rays are from a different source.

Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Yes I have heard this also, but I presumed that was caused by mixing Ray's. I'd have thought if they are the only Ray's to go into the tank then cross contamination wont happen as there are no other Ray's to x com with. Could be wrong.

I also wont buy from him as my rays are from a different source.
I have no idea why this happened but I would say its deffo not worth the risk if you already have European stock. I still have the ray that is now an adult and things are ok but he has not grown into the adult I expected, given the pattern on him as a pup. They add so many things to make the patterns pop including white tank treatment that they just don't keep the pattern when maturing.

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
I have no idea why this happened but I would say its deffo not worth the risk if you already have European stock. I still have the ray that is now an adult and things are ok but he has not grown into the adult I expected, given the pattern on him as a pup. They add so many things to make the patterns pop including white tank treatment that they just don't keep the pattern when maturing.
Yes I have also heard that people are disappointed with the adult results.

Not for me Although his albino bd looks nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store