Where to find 48" T8 bulbs?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Both bulbs on my 90 gallon aquarium finally burned out. I went to two LFS, and both said they only carry LED bulbs in 48". Petco/Petsmart stores near me have T8's, but only in small sizes. The only non-LEDs I've found at that length on Amazon are either fluorescent ceiling bulbs (too weak), or T5. I don't want to spend $100+ on a new lighting system to accommodate LED bulbs if possible. Any Suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Both bulbs on my 90 gallon aquarium finally burned out. I went to two LFS, and both said they only carry LED bulbs in 48". Petco/Petsmart stores near me have T8's, but only in small sizes. The only non-LEDs I've found at that length on Amazon are either fluorescent ceiling bulbs (too weak), or T5. I don't want to spend $100+ on a new lighting system to accommodate LED bulbs if possible. Any Suggestions?

Thanks for your help
Try Home Depot or Lowes or any other home improvement store.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You can buy LED lamps specifically intended for direct replacement into ballast-equipped fluorescent fixtures. You can also easily bypass the ballast in your light hood and then utilize standard LED lamps. Either method would be cheaper than buying a new hood.

Or...you can go to Home Depot or equivalent store, buy a couple cheap-ass "Daylight" T8 fluorescents and not worry about any loss of light output. If you just want to see your fish, and/or you are satisfied with undemanding, easy "beginner" live plants, this will work. If you have a high-tech planted tank full of exotic, delicate and demanding plants...you are probably hooped and need to spend some $$$.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store