Which bio media? New sump for 125

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Ceramic and swapping out filter socks twice a week (rinse and then wash them in hot water with no soap and reuse) should be good enough. But in combination works well too if you have the room to set it up. I’ve got ceramic and k1 micro in the back compartments of a fluval flex 15. So it’s definitely possible.
Three chambers in the back of a flex. First is filled with filter floss and some pothos. Second is the sponge that came with it, charcoal removed and packed with ceramic. Third chamber with the pump has a piece of matala cut to fit above the pump and around the return, with an air stone ram down beside it and k1 micro above.
Something like 60 or 70 guppies in that tank and never had a trace of ammonia. C9471398-6152-4415-A447-D910A7080D02.jpegD3ED3BAD-C771-486D-9DE6-E8585E0B3AD2.jpeg

Reactions: SwampFins

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Of course If you have room for some floss or a sock and something like a 50gallon barrel full of k1, that will do the job fine by itself. It’s popular with commercial set ups with stingray and other sensitive fish where neither appearance or space is an issue. Or outdoor koi ponds where space isn’t an issue and it can be hidden one way or another.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
There are sock holders that you can attach to an aquarium for a diy set up. Looking at that sump you probably could do it. Place a divider dead center with holes in the lower half. And two more chambers a few inches from both sides. Left to right, sock, ceramic, then k1 with air stones on both sides, then the pump.
I would put the heater as close to the air stones as possible but be careful. I’ve had k1 melt on to heaters before if it gets wedged next to it for a while so if you can get some sort of guard around the heater or fit it in the chamber with the sock that may be ideal. I’ve always had a problem finding the ideal heater placement myself. Just make sure it’s in a high flow area.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The thing about surface area, and capacity, is you don't get more bacteria just because you have more area.
The population of bacteria, is dependent on the amount of ammonia put out by the fish, and other metabolism in the tank.
You can have a sump full of media and one fish, but the bacterial population will hold static, and only grow when you add another fish.
There is however, a breaking point, if you add too many fish for the amount of available media, there will of course be a problem.
But overstocking presents a host of other problems that might occur first.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
The thing about surface area, and capacity, is you don't get more bacteria just because you have more area.
The population of bacteria, is dependent on the amount of ammonia put out by the fish, and other metabolism in the tank.
You can have a sump full of media and one fish, but the bacterial population will hold static, and only grow when you add another fish.
There is however, a breaking point, if you add too many fish for the amount of available media, there will of course be a problem.
But overstocking presents a host of other problems that might occur first.
Overkill is under rated. :) Duanes is 100% right. There’s no room to debate that. But over feeding or a fish dying and missing it for a day, that sort of thing happens and if never hurts to over estimate your need.
I also have a tub of helix pond bacteria, if I ever over feed or clean off a bag or change a sock, I usually sprinkle a little bit (TINY BIT, it’s like 1 tsp for ever 1000 gallons), just to help out the biological filter in the case of a spike that is beyond the ability of the bacteria and plants to handle. Bacteria culture can be helpful to have since most large brands are impossible to over dose except in the most ridiculous scenarios.
I wouldn’t put a half cup in my 50 gallon. But a teaspoon, appropriate for 1000 gallons, wouldn’t hurt it in the slightest.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
(But I certainly could be wasting money or missing something, I’m still relatively new at this)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store