Which is the most aggressive out of the 7 cichlids listed ?

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
Which is the most aggressive out of the
7 cichlids listed ? (( Rank them 1-7 ))

Jaguar
Cuban
Grammodes
Istlanum
Texas
Festae
Midas

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Don't think you can really do this sort of a list. Each fish is individually different in their disposition.
So let's say for instance the poll suggests that Midas makes the top of the list. So you get some. But instead of it being Darth Vader it turns out to be Mr. Rodgers and lives it whole life with a school of tetras...
Everyone's experience will be different cause no two tanks are the same nor everything that happened to said fish before it got to you.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Personally I've only owned a couple of these fish but if I had to rank them I would rank them as such: 1 being most aggressive and 7 being the least.
J:4
C:7
G:5
I:6
T:1
F:3
M:2

Reactions: Predator07

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Don't think you can really do this sort of a list. Each fish is individually different in their disposition.
So let's say for instance the poll suggests that Midas makes the top of the list. So you get some. But instead of it being Darth Vader it turns out to be Mr. Rodgers and lives it whole life with a school of tetras...
Everyone's experience will be different cause no two tanks are the same nor everything that happened to said fish before it got to you.
This is so true. I have had plenty of FH's and while most tend to be very aggressive I've also had my fair share of ones that were extremely calm, cowardly or extremely friendly. My current 2 I would have to put under cowardly and friendly. Their father on the other hand wanted nothing more then to fill ya with teeth. So with allot of the cichlids there is definitely going to be a personality thing coming into play as some people are just going to have a more aggressive fish then others.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have owned all, except istlantus.
And they are all aggressive, yet in a proper size tank they may not be, (300 gallons +) or as said above, personality is more alpha, or not.
Some have evolved to be loners and don't belong in any cichlid community, either due to isolation (an island species like tetracanthus, or haitiensus) evolved to live without other species or personality wise like grammodes, or in the case of istlanus isolated by topographic geography, cichlids (like istlanus) inhabit rivers, where no others are present.
This may be due to a certain cichlid like istlanus being so successful and suited to its habitat, it wipes out any other competitive scichlid pecies from the area.
I have heard reports that where grammodes are present, most other cichlids are not anywhere close, by nature they stay 100 yards or more away (as adults).
Most people I know (unless they have 300 to 500 gallon tanks), that keep aggressive Central Americans, keep just one pair to a tank of over 100 gallons.
Why do you continue to ask the same question over and over?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The reason to not get "everyones" input, is there are those who have juvies, in a tank for 3 or 6 months or even a year, and claim"in my experience its all good to keep them together in a community", or no problem keeping this or that species together".
But real experience might only come from people who have kept a species for more than 3 to 5 years, and run the gamut of scenarios.
I consider an average term of experience with a species only comes after at least 5 years, so if someone else with that knowledge makes that claim, its not an arbitrary statement.
Also an aquarist who does enough serious research on how a certain species might live in nature (not just internet here-say) might be abe to assess in some way, how that species might do in an aquarium community setting, there are usually obvious signs.
I have seen many a post of someone saying, i have a few 2-3" carpintus with a grammodes in a 125, and its all good, but a few months later see them post, why is everything in my tank chewed up and dying, except the grammodes.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
^ So true!!!

Poster #1: Can I put an ABC cichlid into my tank full of XYZ fish?

Poster #2: Yes! I have an ABC in my tank of XYZ's and they get along beautifully; they're great friends!

Poster #1: Thanks, good to know. How long have you had them together?

Poster #2: Well, I set the tank up last week, and got the fish...hmmm...what time is it now? :nilly:

kingthedog

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
+1

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I've had/have all except gramode. And I had a insane Texas that would fight to the death. He could lock lips for days no exaggerating. But now I have a big big one who is soft. I find festae are meaner than Midas but Midas come in ready to fight day one and festae build confidence over time. Islathim can be nuts but I seen one on YouTube that only hides. Jags never back down and have big mouth but aren't as agile. My male Cuban was a brute then his female died and now he is retired in the fighting arena. He's my goal. Know my fish's personality and put them in a tank they can thrive. It's ok for cichlids to protect territories but I disagree with people jamming bunch aggressive fish in little water and eat popcorn laughing while they kill each other. The real enjoyment is trying to duplicate their natural environment, or giving them a life better. My fish are my hobby and I respect them. Nobody spends time and money building model cars and smashes them the next day...fish are alive and deserve MORE care. But in closing, I had a pair managuensis that would jump out of the tank into my white (had to be white) bucket and I'd take them anywhere to fight. They beat pikes, butticofri, snakeheads, piranhas, anything under the sun that was in my town that wanted to die...until 'the midas'...my jags jumped into the bucket, literally, I drove them across town like any other event and dumped them in with a 13.5" midas mostly white with orange. He weighed more than both jags combined. It looked like we dropped a hundred Alka-Seltzer in a 55 gallon aquarium. It would have made a heck of a YouTube video except for the fact YouTube was not invented yet. Male jag died and female was skinned like a banana. So my too pick on your list is midas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store