Which is the most aggressive SA/CA cichlid in your experience/opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daren Stroud

Feeder Fish
Feb 12, 2018
I’d have to say the dovii, then the jag, and i have a red mayan thats extremely aggressive.. he bites at every fish in the tank..

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
What do you all think about a RTM .... I had bought some 4 randomly (3.5”) and 2 paired up , and in one night killed 4 peacock bass (4”) .
Do you think it was the breeding instinct or in general they are wired to be aggressive.
Keeping the RTM’s for the first time .
I have a Dovii , but seems to be a nice fella.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What do you all think about a RTM .... I had bought some 4 randomly (3.5”) and 2 paired up , and in one night killed 4 peacock bass (4”) .
Do you think it was the breeding instinct or in general they are wired to be aggressive.
Keeping the RTM’s for the first time .
I have a Dovii , but seems to be a nice fella.
RTM's are one of the more aggressive species, yes. Not rare for them to be mean.
How large is dovii? They tend to change personality as they get bigger than 12"

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I realize that many species have a well-deserved reputation for being savage but (so far) the meanest individual I have yet encountered was a young male Electric Blue Acara. They are supposed to be mellow and indeed most are.

But this guy... in one night he killed an angelfish and mangled its mate, he slaughtered the German blue rams, he pulled the eyeballs out of all my Geophagus sp. Red Head Tapajos and savaged his would be girlfriend.

I named him Jack the Ripper and he got his own tank. Karma caught up with him though and he jumped out to his death before I found a lid.

Just saying... the heavy hitters have earned their reps, but sometimes you can get an individual from a "peaceful" species which simply has murder in its evil little heart. It's all the more shocking and distressing because you don't see it coming until it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store