Which is the most aggressive SA/CA cichlid in your experience/opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiaell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
I believe everyones experience will differ even with the same species.
Aggressive behaviour from any fish can depend on so many factors. Tank size, water flow, temperature and chemistry. Can have affect. As can tank decor, ie territories and hiding spots and line of sight breaks.
Diet can also affect a fishes behavior. Fish can vary on temperament within the same species, due to variant or genetics or possibly individual personality. The list goes on.
We have a general idea of what species tend to act more aggressive on average, but little more than that.
To me the thread is a little pointless. It s probably my least favourite thread on the cichlid forums. Pointless and mute.
Why don’t you think it’s useful to know what species are are the most aggressive?

Fiaell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
Not really. There was admittance that species have different average aggression levels, and I’d say that’s pretty valuable information. Were it not for such threads I might have mixed my convicts with my Parachromis. I just thought it strange to call information useless.

Explained in the post you just replied too

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Could Nosferatu steindachneri be the closest contender to fasciatus, alongside grammodes? They look very nasty and they have long and sharp teeth.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Not really. There was admittance that species have different average aggression levels, and I’d say that’s pretty valuable information. Were it not for such threads I might have mixed my convicts with my Parachromis. I just thought it strange to call information useless.
I don't see how a thread like this teaches us anything about compatability.
Parachromis and Convicts could be quite compatible in a large enough tank.
If I had a suitably furnished 500 gallon I could raise Convicts and a Parachromis without to much aggro.
The list of variables to what makes a certain fish act aggressive is vast.
A pair of angelfish could be extremely aggressive towards its own kind in a small tank but they won't make this threads list.
It's mostly about scale.
I would bet that over half the fish on this thread have not been kept to scale. What I mean by that is most of the big glass banging cichlids size requirements have not been met. If they had they would not have shown such aggressive behaviour.
All this thread teaches us is what a certain person experienced with fish that were more often than not kept with other cichlids that required more room.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If I had a suitably furnished 500 gallon I could raise Convicts and a Parachromis without to much aggro.
A pair of angelfish could be extremely aggressive towards its own kind in a small tank but they won't make this threads list.
It's mostly about scale.
I would bet that over half the fish on this thread have not been kept to scale. What I mean by that is most of the big glass banging cichlids size requirements have not been met. If they had they would not have shown such aggressive behaviour.
All this thread teaches us is what a certain person experienced with fish that were more often than not kept with other cichlids that required more room.

Well said. I once saw an angelfish attack an Asian aro. Ounce for ounce that fish would have ranked high on this list. lol

For the doubters, see below, pics included. lol

Was that typical behaviour, nope, but it proves the point that just like most animals on the planet, fish also have individual behaviours. Sometimes even an angelfish can have a serious attitude, even in a 300 gallon tank. :)

Fiaell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
It's mostly about scale.
That’s fair, I agree. Yet few of us have a500g tank yet and like to keep these fish. My biggest is 100g, and if I didn’t know about the aggression of dovii, managuenses and red devils God knows I’d have mixed my Dempsey, firemouth and convict with them... bad news!

That said, again, I essentially agree with you, but people—including myself—are keeping these fish without a 500g tank, and don’t know such a thing would be necessary for certain cichlids to cohabitate.

Reactions: pinfish
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store