Which is the most aggressive SA/CA cichlid in your experience/opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Much easier to ask questions on the open forum about aggression levels in fish (or use the search function) than wade through 37 pages of "my fish is badder than yours". C'mon now , let's keep it real. This thread was not created for educational purposes. The fact that this was made a sticky back in 2005 is one of the main reasons it took a couple of years before I actually joined MFK. Back then there seemed to be a lot of goof ball kids posting about how tough their fish was. Most of those kids added little value to this site and are now long gone. meh

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Much easier to ask questions on the open forum about aggression levels in fish (or use the search function) than wade through 37 pages of "my fish is badder than yours". C'mon now , let's keep it real. This thread was not created for educational purposes. The fact that this was made a sticky back in 2005 is one of the main reasons it took a couple of years before I actually joined MFK. Back then there seemed to be a lot of goof ball kids posting about how tough their fish was. Most of those kids added little value to this site and are now long gone. meh
Totally agree and must admit I felt the same about joining for very similar reasons.
However there are some very knowledgeable members here so I'm glad I did.
I also agree that if a member wants to learn about compatability, asking on the forum, "will this fish coexist with this fish in x amount of gallons" is definitely going to be much more educational.
I still stand by what I said before, this thread will only tell you that a fish behaved aggressive for someone of unknown experience in an unknown amount of gallons with unknown tank mates.

I notice that a lot of people are saying Dovii are the most aggressive. In nature Dovii are willing to share their breeding territory with Nicaraguan cichlids. Alternatively the small and unassuming firemouth would not share its breeding territory with any other cichlid. So which one is the most aggressive?
Like I said, far to many variables.

Reactions: dan518 and RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In nature Dovii are willing to share their breeding territory with Nicaraguan cichlids. Alternatively the small and unassuming firemouth would not share its breeding territory with any other cichlid. So which one is the most aggressive?
Excellent point, Stan.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I had a 6" Ranchu that took out a 2 foot sailfin pleco. 'Bout gummed him to death. Wickedest fish evah, not even a cichlid. Devils and Trimacs would stand no chance with the fiend. ?

• Haha
Reactions: TankerEasy and RD.

CichlidsNCars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2020
The most psychotic cichlid I've had the pleasure of owning was a Beani a few years ago. He repeatedly tried his absolute d*mndest to kill anything that was put into his 180 even if they were separated by a tank divider. Next, I would say the Black Nasty. I owned a 17 or so inch one for nearly 10 years. He beat the p*ss out of Dovii of about 20 inches. Had a very outgoing personality and wouldn't sulk even after water changes. RIP Paco (Beani) and Frank (BN). I'll always miss those two.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My Ranchu goldfish was worse...you shoulda seen the gums on him. Suckled skin off fish like a monster! Tank mates went belly up without a fight and died bald. ?

ccichc

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I had the pleasure to own Neets, and they are VICIOUS. WOW. Little 3 inch buggers were so persistent, even when they weren't in command, they made sure every other fish's fins were torn and ugly. So much stress, was battling ich nonstop in a flippin 180..... Dovii at 5-6 inches were so pestered they gave up command. The Red Devil and Butti hid behind the filter and heaters..... and the others passed away.

Neets also got TEETH. You won't believe it, they took chunks off of lip locking red devils, and you could easily tell their bite marks were on every fish's tail

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I had the pleasure to own Neets, and they are VICIOUS. WOW. Little 3 inch buggers were so persistent, even when they weren't in command, they made sure every other fish's fins were torn and ugly. So much stress, was battling ich nonstop in a flippin 180..... Dovii at 5-6 inches were so pestered they gave up command. The Red Devil and Butti hid behind the filter and heaters..... and the others passed away.

Neets also got TEETH. You won't believe it, they took chunks off of lip locking red devils, and you could easily tell their bite marks were on every fish's tail
Wouldn't want a tank like that at all. Does nothing for true fishkeepers.

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

ccichc

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Wouldn't want a tank like that at all. Does nothing for true fishkeepers.
It was annoying for sure, Neets should be in a special tank. Or perhaps house them with 25-50 Exodons :ROFL:and see if they like their own medicine. Something tells me the exodons would somehow be the ones getting tagged constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store