Which Malagasy cichlids do you have and keep together?

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I'm presently keeping 11 Kieneri and Maculatus juvies in a grow out tank. 1 Paratilapia Bleekeri female and a breeding Tarantsy pair in another (with non mad. fish, syno multis and etroplus maculatus). Will soon be obtaining six 1.5in Menerambo who will be in their own tank for now.

I'd also like to hear about experiences from members with Pe. Menerambo, Pe. Maculatus and other Paretroplines together as juvies and adults.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept menerambo with lamena.

Dambabe with kieneri

and Paratilapia with all the above.
I have found menerambo when mature, to be very aggressive with other damba, and even each other, especially when they reach the 14" mark, but if the menerambo and maculatus grow up together, they may set up a sustainable hierarchy.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I presently have kieneri* (6), nourissati (5), menarambo* (2) and dambabe (1) in a 90G. They're doing fine but the menarambo don't get along with one another at all. The "*" ones are adult size, the others are still in the grow out stage. At one time I had Paratilapia polleni (6), Ptychochromis oligacanthus (2), and Ptychochromis grandidier (4) together with P. maculatus (6) in a 180G, but eventually the dambas couldn't compete for food so I had to remove them. I find that if they are initially young and grow up together, there is a pecking order established and compatability is increased unlike when putting adult fish together up front. They seem to find their niches as long as the tank is large enough and has enough structure (nooks and crannies) in it. So far the mix of dambas seems to be working but the lamena and the kieneri are "flying under the radar" relaitive to the menarambo. The menarambo and the kieneri have successfully spawned in that tank. Here's a video of the 90G

[video=youtube;oZj4TOniq48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oZj4TOniq48[/video]

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I have found menerambo when mature, to be very aggressive with other damba, and even each other, especially when they reach the 14" mark, but if the menerambo and maculatus grow up together, they may set up a sustainable hierarchy.
Thanks Duane.
How many Menarambo did you start with? I'm hoping since they're all young, there will be a sustainable hierarchy. Since they'll be so large when they mature, I'm looking to keep my Malagasy collection in a 230g.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I presently have kieneri* (6), nourissati (5), menarambo* (2) and dambabe (1) in a 90G. They're doing fine but the menarambo don't get along with one another at all. The "*" ones are adult size, the others are still in the grow out stage. At one time I had Paratilapia polleni (6), Ptychochromis oligacanthus (2), and Ptychochromis grandidier (4) together with P. maculatus (6) in a 180G, but eventually the dambas couldn't compete for food so I had to remove them. I find that if they are initially young and grow up together, there is a pecking order established and compatability is increased unlike when putting adult fish together up front. They seem to find their niches as long as the tank is large enough and has enough structure (nooks and crannies) in it. So far the mix of dambas seems to be working but the lamena and the kieneri are "flying under the radar" relaitive to the menarambo. The menarambo and the kieneri have successfully spawned in that tank. Here's a video of the 90G
Thanks Jim.

Are the numbers above what you started with?

Interesting re: Damba not competing for food. I'm worried my Ptychos and Paratilapia won't be able to compete with the Damba for food. They're always slow to come for food and won't eat if any others are too close. If I'm remembering correctly, Jose has had similar experience with his Tarantsy not being as 'hungry' as other Ptychos. Conversely, the Maculatus are ravenous and always looking for food.

I agree re: nooks and crannies, each species has their own 'caves' and they avoid going into each others space.

An established hierarchy when raised together seems to be a theme. Great video, I remember that a few months ago.

BTW, how are your Lamena?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
When I had menerambo I started 6 in a 150 gal, and they did well together for number of years, until I removed a pair to give them a separate breeding area. At that point the group dynamic totally broke down, and they all turned on, and started killing each other.
I think a 200+ tank may be the answer. They are such substantial and active fish when mature, anything less is just doesn't seem to cut it.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
When I had menerambo I started 6 in a 150 gal, and they did well together for number of years, until I removed a pair to give them a separate breeding area. At that point the group dynamic totally broke down, and they all turned on, and started killing each other.
I think a 200+ tank may be the answer. They are such substantial and active fish when mature, anything less is just doesn't seem to cut it.
Thanks Duane,
Great info and very interesting. I've read about several Malagasy keepers moving fish out for one reason or another. All instances I remember involved total chaos and death when the established dynamic was disturbed. They're just so incredibly fascinating!

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Thanks Jim.

Are the numbers above what you started with?

Interesting re: Damba not competing for food. I'm worried my Ptychos and Paratilapia won't be able to compete with the Damba for food. They're always slow to come for food and won't eat if any others are too close. If I'm remembering correctly, Jose has had similar experience with his Tarantsy not being as 'hungry' as other Ptychos. Conversely, the Maculatus are ravenous and always looking for food.

I agree re: nooks and crannies, each species has their own 'caves' and they avoid going into each others space.

An established hierarchy when raised together seems to be a theme. Great video, I remember that a few months ago.

BTW, how are your Lamena?

It's not so much competition but a different feeding style. I think the difference in eating habits for the dambas is what resulted in them not getting enough food. My dambas (keineri, menarambo, dambabe, maculatus, nourissati) all seem to be predominantly grazers ... preferring to search out the pellets on the bottom over a length of time. They have smallish mouths and just can't take in any amount of food in one gulp. It's like a pellet at a time. Sort of like Discus in that regard.The Ptychochromis and especially the Paratilapia literally gorge themselves, taking in as much as they can hold right away (like Oscars) The food barely hits the water before their gaping mouths suck in the food and the water "boils" with the activity. They eat fast and lots. Because of this difference in feeding strategies, I no longer tend to mix dambas in with them.

The numbers above are what I have presently. I used to have four large menarambo (2 pairs) but the male-female relationships were "rocky". I lost the females when the males unexpectedly killed them after they had spawned several times. I still have about 30 - 3" menarambo growing out. And they have gotten along really well together up until now. I also recently lost one of my lamena. There was some electrical current leakage into the tank from a faulty powerhead. All the fish changed behaviorally and I knew something was wrong. I checked the water parameters and did a water change but it made no difference. When I put my hand in the water , I got a "tingle", tracing it to a powerhead. When I replaced it with a new one, the fish resumed their normal behavior. But a lamena was laying on the bottom and despite me moving it to another tank, it didn't make it. The lamena so far pay little attention to one another. But they look like they're reaching sexual maturity so I've been told to expect all h**l to break loose by others who have kept them. That's what their reputation seems to be ... they fight and kill one another until there is one left. I'm hoping to prove otherwise.

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
I have (1) 4" bleekeri and (3) 2.5-3" maculatus in a 100g. It's working so far, but I have a close eye. Im still learning as well. My first attempt at Africans.

OP: interesting to to see how yours turn out. Keep us posted and post pics! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
It's interesting TeeJay that you think of them as Africans, is it because of the close proximity of Madagascar to Africa?
I find most Paretroplus Madagascan cichlids very unAfrican in behavior, and more akin to the cichlids of India, the Etroplus.
Not that they can't be kept with mainland Africans (and I have done so), but I find them better suited as tankmates for Central, and South American cichlids, even though geographically, it makes little sense.
The Madagascans seem to ignore the new worlds, and in turn, the shoaling behavior of the Madagascans seems to fool the new worlds into a sense of security, and quells the aggression they normally deal out to other cichlids.
(I realize that sounds a bit anthropomorphic)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store