Which of the two Monster Puffers : FAHAKA or MBU???

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Red, which one did you pick? dont forget to post pics!

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Gr8KarmaSF said:
Red, which one did you pick? dont forget to post pics!

Sigh.. the trip didnt push through today... member Pangong_ilong had a car
problem in NYC and had to have his car towed home. But the hunt is still on..maybe this coming weekend ? Ill def update you guys.

myles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
oh go for the fahaka for sure, i have one, awesome fish, very personable. try and get soemthing at least 2 feet wide and at least 5 feet long, they use all the space. and believe me expect it to get at least 17" iv seen a few now that big so they definitely will get to that size. I was talking to a guy who has one that is 17" in a 180 g and its only 2 years old! they grow quick and eat a ton. you get one of these guys and you wont be disappointed. iv never had experience with mbu but they get like 30" so i would even bother with that, they do look nice tho.

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
redtailfool said:
Its that max size in aquaria vs max size in the wild thing.. which is another debate altogether.. thanks for the tip .
Remember Li has a 18" or so one now

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
unknownuza13 said:
Remember Li has a 18" or so one now
Youre right... Totally forgot the numbers on that one. I backed out on that one too
only bec its already monstrous. Ill make up my mind soon. But keep on giving your tips and opinions .. its appreciated !

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I would go with a Fahaka because of size alone. 18 inches is what I've seen as max size for a Fahaka in captivity. I've got a few so I guess I'm a little partial. I don't understand why people say the mbu is prettier though. :confused:

Mbu Top

Fahaka Bottom

large_mbu.jpg

nile_puffer.jpg

demented_lullaby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
montreal
Heya,

Mbu puffers are the largest puffer available I believe. They need a minimum tank size of 300 gallons, otherwise they won't be able to turn properly. They normally won't tolerate any other fish, even other mbu's. They are fully fresh water unlike some sources say and definaetly need MUCH MUCH MUCH more than 50g like some places suggest. They can grow much larger than 30" even and like all puffers are VERY messy. Check out **************.org for more information.

Fahka don't need 300g, 125-150g would probably be suitable. They like to bury themselves in sand. At largest they are 17", usually being a bit less in the home aquarium.

It's good to add some salt for all puffers to help ward off diseases. They are great fish in general. I keep dwarfs right now(not exactly Monster LOL)and ordered a Figure 8. They do need to have shell based food though to keep their beaks down. Either way you may have to end up sedating the fish and clipping it's teeth. More info can be found on the site supplied above.

Good luck with whatever puffer you choose. They are rewarding pets, and yes I do use the word pet for them. They seem to love to people watch, even in fish stores when I see puffers they always seem to be staring at me. They seem to beg for food and nothing is more satisfying then seeing a puffer take down a snail, crush it with it's beak(fused teeth) and suck it on up.

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
What ever you chose I'm excited for you!!! I myself have been wanting a Fahaka but I've been researching and am not in a huge hurry..... Want to do it right!!!! I love how the MBU's look (although I have seen some beautiful fahaka pics) but feel that taking one on is a huge responsibility due to their size and the amount of waste they produce. On top of doing partials for my palembangensis, I am suctioning the waste out of the bottom of the tank on a regular basis (at least every other day). This kind of regular maintenance in a 300 gal is harder to keep up with as opposed to a 125-150 gal!!! Plus I hear fahaka's have wonderful personalities..... Which ever one you chose be sure to post pics!!!!!!!

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
i like the beautiful patterns of the fahaka ;)

if we have them available here i'd get myself one :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store