Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Hi which one do you guys think i should get:
A silver
Or
a jardini?
As it will be in a 55gallon (40x17x19)(not for life)
So i would like the most peacefull, slowest growing, and easiest to grow.
Oh and also the least skittish.
Thanks guys and gals. :feedback:

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
What about a black arowana??
Can we get them in the UK easily??

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
rust9000 said:
What about a black arowana??
Can we get them in the UK easily??
This is a slow growing species. It will grow even slower than the "Silver" variety. Tank size is essential for this species to grow and to be healthy. If you want it to be healthy put it in a large tank and yes they are Aggressive and i have seen them for sale in uk as it happens a mate of mine has a 4 inch one for sale in his shop at the mo.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
stotty said:
If you want it to be healthy put it in a large tank and yes they are Aggressive and i have seen them for sale in uk.
So are they more aggressive than the silvers?
And can it live in my 55gallon and then can i upgrade?

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
I think Jardini's are the best!
my little baby is calm, not skittish, and can hold his own against the larger archerfish (only when the archer starts a fight with him)
he was a little scared the first day but now he comes right up to me, and the flash on my camera when i was taking photos didnt freak him out.

Jardinis ROCK! :headbang2

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Jardinis look a lot better (in my opinion) and are smaller. But if you want more peaceful, I'd go with a silver. I think both grow quite quickly though.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
rust9000 said:
So are they more aggressive than the silvers?
And can it live in my 55gallon and then can i upgrade?
I have had silver and Australians and in my opinion the silver got along with most things but this fish grows large and you will need a much larger tank for this sort of fish South American Arowana (Osteoglossum ferreirai/bicirrhosum): from South America. or Silver Arowana can grow to about 47 inches which is the longest Arowana of all Black Arowana come from the South America and it is quite similar to the Silver Arowana A Black Arowana can grow up to 40 inches There are commonly 3 varieties of Australia Arowanas: Pearl, Spotted and Red. QUOTE"Australia Arowana are known to be very aggressive"

have a look at this http://malawicichlidhomepage.com/zezza/zezza_arowana_1.html
might help! :thumbsup:

K.O.D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2005
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
I have silver, black and Asian arownas, the silver and the black are the least aggressive but grow HUGE, I have never had a Jardini but the consensus of opinion is they are the most aggressive. I think they are the best looking behind the Asian Aro's but unless you house with other huge MF's then the S.American aro's are best.
All the Aro's I have kept have gone through a skittish phase, two big silvers 24" + I used to keep used to go mental and slam against the glass lid trying to get out when certain colour clothes were near the tank!!!!
Black Aro's grow slower than Silvers and are more slender in body but are more difficult and more expensive to get hold of

Steve

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Thanks guys i think i will get a silver.
one more thing where do i post a thread on sting rays??
Or dou guys know any thing??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store