Which one?

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
I am trying to decide between two tanks...what do you think is the better way to go???

The first is a 150 tall (48x24x30), starphire glass, 4 years old, comes with 2 large HOB filters, led light, heaters, air pump, lids, some driftwood, and a stand...for $350. I can have it drilled for about $50 (2 drains, 1 return).

The second is a 120 gallon (48x24x24) unused. the brand is Deep Blue and it is a reef ready tank that already has overflows and is drilled. comes with the plumbing for the tank that came with it new, and a homemade stand...for $400...he also has a Eshopps sump available for $150, but I dont really need it.

The tank will be an angelfish tank. I like the size and price of the 150, but I like that the 120 has never had water in it? As always...thanks in advance for the advice and opinions.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
That 150 is a gem! Starfire glass! BTW, you can drill holes in the HOBs and use them as overlow boxes for your sump. On an angel tank, height is most important, especially if you are thinking of Altums. If its in good condition $350 is a good price. Also glass tanks age much more gracefully then acrylic ones, and when they do start to go, you can fix them yourself.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
That 150 is a gem! Starfire glass! BTW, you can drill holes in the HOBs and use them as overlow boxes for your sump. On an angel tank, height is most important, especially if you are thinking of Altums. If its in good condition $350 is a good price. Also glass tanks age much more gracefully then acrylic ones, and when they do start to go, you can fix them yourself.
I'm picking the 150 up tomorrow...i never thought about drilling holes in HOB's...thats a pretty good idea. Looks good in the pictures...and he is rehoming fish today...so it hasnt been sitting empty for awhile.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
That 150 most likely can't be drilled on the bottom by the way
thats fine with me, thanks for the info though.
I prefer plumbing on the side...that way if there is ever a leak, it wont drain the whole tank, just to the bottom of the bulkhead.
I already have some nice looking Cepex ball valves that are gray with blue handles, schedule 80 fittings, and matching blue pvc pipe. the stand i built is 60"...tank is 48"...so I will have 6" on each side. Im gonna run the blue pvc down one side, just through the plywood top, then hose inside the stand from pvc to the canister filters. Pump return will be hose up to more pvc...pvc up to the return bulkhead.
Thats the plan anyway...if the sides can be drilled.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
thats fine with me, thanks for the info though.
I prefer plumbing on the side...that way if there is ever a leak, it wont drain the whole tank, just to the bottom of the bulkhead.
I already have some nice looking Cepex ball valves that are gray with blue handles, schedule 80 fittings, and matching blue pvc pipe. the stand i built is 60"...tank is 48"...so I will have 6" on each side. Im gonna run the blue pvc down one side, just through the plywood top, then hose inside the stand from pvc to the canister filters. Pump return will be hose up to more pvc...pvc up to the return bulkhead.
Thats the plan anyway...if the sides can be drilled.
Ok but as long as you're drilling do a proper overflow and sump, skip the cans.

Reactions: eddiegunks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store