Which pleco should I get? 125 gallon

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As the title suggests, I’m looking for a good pleco to go in my 125. I know most poop more than they actually clean, but nonetheless it would be nice to have something to help with uneaten food and algae.
The tank stock is as follows:
Banded leporinus
Jack Dempsey
Convict
Kribensis pair
Raphael cat
19 Buenos Aires tetras (+2 Aussie rainbows and a giant danio)

I added a small bristlenose a few days ago which is since MIA (I would have expected it to show up at this point). I have a feeling the Jack got it, it seemed big enough upon adding.

Should I try again with a bristlenose and get it full grown, or is there another type worth trying (that still pulls its weight)? I love the look of sailfin/gibbiceps, but I don’t see a 20 inch pleco working out long term.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
As the title suggests, I’m looking for a good pleco to go in my 125. I know most poop more than they actually clean, but nonetheless it would be nice to have something to help with uneaten food and algae.
The tank stock is as follows:
Banded leporinus
Jack Dempsey
Convict
Kribensis pair
Raphael cat
19 Buenos Aires tetras (+2 Aussie rainbows and a giant danio)

I added a small bristlenose a few days ago which is since MIA (I would have expected it to show up at this point). I have a feeling the Jack got it, it seemed big enough upon adding.

Should I try again with a bristlenose and get it full grown, or is there another type worth trying (that still pulls its weight)? I love the look of sailfin/gibbiceps, but I don’t see a 20 inch pleco working out long term.
For smallness yes bristle nose will work best, I doubt it was eaten as, it’s a pleco it’s probably hiding, maybe get a full grown super red
Regular plecos do make a big bioload

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Do you have hard water (high pH) or soft water with low pH.
If hard water, avoid some of the more exotic black water, Amazonian types.
I have had success with bristle nose with my alkaline Milwaukee water.
1693004973220.png
Here in Panama, I have been catching rubber lip (Chaetostoma) plecos, in pH 8.2 water.
Where I find them, the flow is very strong, and water highly oxygenated.
IMG_7811.jpegIMG_6616.jpeg
3b7d146a-475c-4dd9-89d6-ca605f412975.jpeg
Another great fish for eating the left over food on the substrate are Awaous Gobies, also good in hard water.
IMG_0095.jpegIMG_0113.jpegIMG_0025.jpeg

Last edited:

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Try a L137. Always out and visible, hardy, cope with a wide range of water conditions. Underrated too.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Water comes out of the tap at a pH of 7.5, so only slightly alkaline. Hardness itself is pretty low though, only around 6 dkh (iirc).
I did think about gobies, but I’m not sure about availability by me.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I had good luck keeping a Dull Eyed Royal Pleco with a group of rowdy Cichlids. They are a good midsized pleco. They don't grow nearly as big as a standard Royal.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Try a L137. Always out and visible, hardy, cope with a wide range of water conditions. Underrated too.
I do like the look of those a lot…may have to get one.

Alternatively, how do the phantom plecos tend to fare? My lfs has a few in, though they look like they may be more delicate/not as armored.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Well dilemma solved…with the least amount of damage to my wallet. Found it chilling behind the rock just now. Though I may still pick up a male and see if I can breed them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store