which puffer for a 55????

Connor0729

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
ok, my brother is now looking into puffers (freshwater) for a 55 gallon tank that he will be getting in a while, and was wondering which puffers have lots of personality and can fit in a 55 without tankmates. any responses welcome, as long as they aren't part of an argument.:irked: :irked: :irked: :irked:

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
south american puffers may be the best bet. they won't outgrow the tank, are less aggressive than most puffer species and I've read they can be kept in groups, and are active. other species that wouldn't outgrow the tank such as congos, king kongs and arrowheads aren't really very active so I wouldn't say they have much if any personality. fahakas and mbus have personality but would grow much too large for a 55.

:)

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
i would suggest getting like 2 jades and 3 figure eats, if you want them in there for life....Other wise the best fish to get until it gets to big for the tank is a Fahaka

Fella

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
UK
RobD23;696032; said:
i would suggest getting like 2 jades and 3 figure eats, if you want them in there for life....Other wise the best fish to get until it gets to big for the tank is a Fahaka
They're both brackish thoughh, and the Jades need salinity close to marine as adults, while the figure 8s need only a little salt.

For a 55, go with a big target puffer. Something like tetraodon abei, or some SAP's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store