Which Shark do you prefer and why?

For all those who have kept them, which shark do you prefer and why?

• Whitespotted Bamboo Shark

• Brownbanded Bambo Shark

• Coral Catshark

Results are only viewable after voting.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I'm building a tank for our Bamboo and pair of Coral Catsharks that isn't much bigger of a footprint than what you already have. I'm going 8' x 4' x 2'. They are currently in a 300g which I think is the limit at their sizes now.

I really want to get an Epaulette Shark Egg right now for my wifes class to study and hatch this year, but coming up short on finding one. For the last 3 years her class has been studying Bamboo and Coral Cat eggs to find out what kind of shark egg it is and when it hatches the kids learn about the shark. By summer the sharks were the perfect size to avoid being eaten by our grouper we have home when moved from the classroom 40g Breeder tank to our main tank at home.

Mines not build yet either. I'm in the process. Just finished cleaning out the area the room will be and then need to start framing. Once I get the left side all set, I can start on the tank. I actually increased the tank size to 8'x4'x32" as I figured out a way to do that and still make the space work. My goal is to have this done by September 2018....we'll see. Where are you in your process?

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Of the 3 options - the Coral Catshark is the best for home aquaria - IMO. An adult Coral Catshark can be kept in aquariums which are too small for either of the Bamboos. And they only average about 2 feet in length.

Between the two bamboo sharks - IMO, White-spotted Bamboos are better than Brown banded - because adult White-spotted bamboos average about 2.5-3 feet in length. While Brown banded bamboos average 3.5 feet, with large adult females reaching 4 feet or more.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I prefer brownbanded because I like their looks better, but a coral cat is probably a better choice for its smaller size.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I prefer brownbanded because I like their looks better, but a coral cat is probably a better choice for its smaller size.
Same here and back when I was into keeping sharks unlike bamboos,coral cats were very hard to come by in this area.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Political b.s ,they claim they might accidentally get established in arizona,so they banned most species. Which is stupid out here as we hardly have water we certainly don't have an ocean
Right.....I wasn't aware that there were saltwater channels coursing through your state.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store