Which Spiny Eel is best for me?

synodontisjack

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
England, London
dayglowfroggy;2509656; said:
The tyre track in the picture looks like M. favus not m. armatus .
Armatus has the light coloured belly and getts bigger.
Favus has the pattern all the way around and doesn't get as big.
It looks like armatus to me although you could be right, armatus only gets slightly bigger anyway and favus tend not to be as thick.

Tom, yes this is my own and perhaps a tt will reach 40" but it remains my opinion that fires grow bigger.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Let me add something, there are two types of peacock eel: Spotted and striped. There is some debate as if the two are just color variants or different species entirely, but as of now they are labeled as two seperate species.

synodontisjack

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
England, London
I<3fish;2586214; said:
Let me add something, there are two types of peacock eel: Spotted and striped. There is some debate as if the two are just color variants or different species entirely, but as of now they are labeled as two seperate species.
yes aral is the striped and siamensis the spotted.
Peacock eel would be fine with larger danio's

MeiTnerium109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
USA
anthony25;3675212; said:
I have a peacock eel. Can they live with zig zag eels?
Judging on this care sheet, yes. But I haven't personally mixed eels so I wouldn't know.

And, seriously guys. Never take someone's word on the length of a fish unless you have a picture of him holding his little creature and measuring it with a ruler. You say your fish is 36 inches? I doubt he's a centimeter over 28. Prove me wrong.

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
synodontisjack;2168882; said:
Just thought id share a bit of advice on those considering to get a spiny eel to help them to decide whch one.

Spiny eels are a great group of fish to keep, they range in sizes from the 6" zig zag eel to the 1m fire eel!. One thing in common with all spiny eels is thta they have great charachter and many will learn to recognise their owner and become tame enough to take food from hand.

The first thing to take into account when purchasing a spiny eel is tank size as if you own a tank with a footprint of 72"x30" or more then you might want to consider the larger mastacembelus eels such as the fire or tire track eel. But even if your tank is as small as 24"x12" then the smaller macrognathus eels may fit your bill with the zig zag reaching no more than 6". It is imortant to mention that all spiny eels prefer a soft sand substrate as they may be cut by gravel when burrowing. All spiny eels are notoriously difficult to ween onto flake/pellet food and should be started with foods such as frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brineshrimp and earthworms. The larger species will also relish foods such as lancefish, cockles, muscles and prawns.

Here is a quick review of the most common spiny eels available in your lfs:

Peacock eel (macrognathus siamensis)
Max size: 12" (8" more common)
preferred temp: 24-28 degrees celcius
preferred ph: 6- 7.5
min tank size: 36"x 12"
temperment: peacefull
Tankmates: avoid anything small enough to fit in mouth such as male endlers.
Other notes: This species is friendly to other macrognathus eel and is relitivley cheap thus making a great eel to start with.

zig zag eel (macrognathus circumcinctus)
Max size: 6"- 8"
min tank size: 24"x12"
Tankmates: avoid anything small enough to fit in mouth (generaly just other fish fry as is not large enough to swallow adults.)
Other notes: costing around twice as much as the peacock eel this fish is still relitivley cheap and is great for those with smaller tanks. lives with other macrognathus.

Macrognathus pancalus
Max size: 8"
min tank size: 30"x12"
Tankmates: avoid anything small enough to fit in mouth (normally only very small)
Other notes: costs a similiar price to the peacock eel but is seen in the shops less often it is a great species as it grows larger than the zig zags but smaller than the peacock so is great for the medium sized tank.

Macrognathus aral
Max size: 24" (18" is more realistic)
min tank size: 48"x 20"
temperment: semi- aggresive
Tankmates: avoid anything small enough to fit in mouth (anything larger than an adult platty should be safe but it is safer to get tankmates larger than this)
Other notes: this is the largest member of the macrognathus genus growing a similar size to the smaller mastacambelus eels, will tolerate other macrognathus but to a lesser extent than the smaller members.

Tire track eel (mastacembelus armatus)
Max size: 24" - 30"
preferred ph: 6- 8
min tank size: 72"x 30"
Tankmates: avoid anything small enough to fit in mouth so avoid fish under 6"
Other notes: this is probably the most aggresive spiny eel mentioned on this list although not growing as large as the fire eel it will take larger prey. It is best to avoid keeping with other mastacembelus eels, it has been done but is not reccomended, keep 1 specimen to a tank.

Fire eel (mastacembelus erythrotaenia)
Max size: 30" - 36"
preferred ph: 6- 8
min tank size: 72"x 30"
Tankmates: avoid anything small enough to fit in mouth so avoid fish under 4"
Other notes: It is best to avoid keeping with other mastacembelus eels, it has been done but is not reccomended, keep 1 specimen to a tank. This is the largest mastacembelid and is best left to those with very large tanks.

If you have any other questions or want to keep an eel not on this list drop me a pm and ill help you best i can.
wat scientific name is the striped peacock eels,and wat is a borneo python eel i saw some pictures of some for sale i also heard of a white spiny eel with black markings wat is it called and is it possibal to house a fire eel with a peacock eel?

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
cudamaster13;3870779; said:
wat scientific name is the striped peacock eels,and wat is a borneo python eel i saw some pictures of some for sale i also heard of a white spiny eel with black markings wat is it called and is it possibal to house a fire eel with a peacock eel?
the white eel i spoke of is mastacembelus cryptacanthus

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
my peacock eel loves earthworms. freshwater eels r the best because they will follow your hand when you have food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store