Which Spiny Eel is best for me?

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Anyone have input on keeping a fire eel is a large, but skinny, aquarium?

I'm planning a basement remodel and want to build a room divider peninsula aquarium. It'll be plenty long (8' or 10') and plenty tall (3' is my current thought), but there isn't much room for width. Honestly 18" is pushing it for the layout I'm thinking.

Tank mates would be smaller and more active fish; clown loaches, silver dollars, discus, etc.
It could work, because spiny Eels are very flexible, but for comfort of the fish, 24"+ is usually the bare minimum, doing a 3 point turn just to move around your own house is not comfy!

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
In my experience with fire eels, mine was 22inches long in my 260 gallon. Was happy but I eventually moved him to a friend if mines 400 gallon. They can get kinda nasty to other fish, especially if they have issues turning. I'm with Supalah17 on the min width size. At least.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
In my experience with fire eels, mine was 22inches long in my 260 gallon. Was happy but I eventually moved him to a friend if mines 400 gallon. They can get kinda nasty to other fish, especially if they have issues turning. I'm with Supalah17 on the min width size. At least.
Sorry, I just re-read my message and realized that someone could take what I said different from what I meant. To clarify in case someone did mis understand. I'm with Supalah17. The tank should be at least 24 inch wide.

Reactions: Supalah17

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
Hey. I was just wondering how easily Half Banded Spiny eels are outcompeted for food? Would they be able to fend for themselves food wise against Pareutropius Buffei?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey. I was just wondering how easily Half Banded Spiny eels are outcompeted for food? Would they be able to fend for themselves food wise against Pareutropius Buffei?

I personally don't have experience with spiney eels but kno4te kno4te may be able to answer your question.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It should as they are not aggressive. Just make sure u provide a hiding spot and let it settle in. Once settled it should eat.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Do you think my zig zag eel would be happier with a friends? He pokes other fish with his nose and will tailgate one of my catfish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do you think my zig zag eel would be happier with a friends? He pokes other fish with his nose and will tailgate one of my catfish.
I’d leave it alone if acting normal. Wouldn’t worry about that behavior. If u have plenty of space and hiding spots adding another eel can work. Would add more than 2. As they are aggressive to their own kind. Best bet to leave this one alone for now.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
It should as they are not aggressive. Just make sure u provide a hiding spot and let it settle in. Once settled it should eat.
I was just wondering as the Buffei are active mid-schooling Catfish and I was hoping that they wouldn’t eat all the food before the eel has a chance. But I’m happy to hear they would get along.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I was just wondering as the Buffei are active mid-schooling Catfish and I was hoping that they wouldn’t eat all the food before the eel has a chance. But I’m happy to hear they would get along.
They likely will and may need to overfeed and spot feed a bit. Once settled it’ll be fine coming out to compete for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store