Apr 1, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Varied, 15-30
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Infrequently; more than a month between changes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Has anyone lost any fish to whirling Disease? I wanted to share my experience. Please understand that this is not one of my better examples of good husbandry. I feel embarrassed that I didn't discover the cause earlier than I did. But now I'm here 12 months later and haven't lost a single fish to this and I'm pretty sure I understand the cause.

Note that I'm only sharing observations and my suspected cause. I'm not a biologist but have kept fish for 35+ years at the hobby level. I never once encountered this disease until about 2 years ago.

I set up a new 75 gallon community tank. Small cichlids, swordtails, etc, with moderate hardness and neutral pH. Over about a 9 month period I killed DOZENS of fish unwittingly and spent at least $100 in Meds. Nothing worked.

Symptoms:
The fish would suddenly emaciate and start swimming in uncoordinated, panicky circles. They would die in a day or two. The emaciation was surprisingly quick. Usually happened in groups of 2-5 over the course of a week or so.

I also noticed that recent additions to the tank were more likely to display symptoms, leading me to think perhaps my water was contaminated. I am on city water and none of my local friends had these issues. I started doing large water changes, frequently with RO water that I mineralized up to the proper gH/kH.

Having never seen this disease , I struggled to find this online. I did find a lot of documentation on trout and salmon showing these symptoms as a result of parasites ingested via live tubifex. Bingo.

Except.... I never fed live tubifex. I occasionally fed frozen blood worms but those are larvae. I never even fed live blackworms. I feed a variety of pellets and flakes, along with fresh mullet fillet, shrimp, and fish eggs (from wild caught whiting).

I only fed freeze dried Tubifex periodically. I had one small can of tubifex cubes that lasted me 9-10 months and when I started suspecting it as the vector, I discarded it, and it was still easily half full. I used it so sporadically that I kept thinking the medicated food I was using worked.

This was a global, very well known brand of fish food that you can buy at basically every LFS on the planet. I did stop feeding the tubifex, and the deaths stopped happening.

So, I cannot legitimately say with certainty that the disease came from those freeze dried tubifex. I also don't know for sure that it was Myxobulus cerebralis. However, I'm quite convinced of it personally. I do not believe the freeze drying process is a guarantee that they are truly sterile. I know for certain many bacteria survive it, I see no real reason to suspect a cycst or whatever from higher parasitic forms cannot survive it.

My personal policy now is that I will not ever use Tubifex in any form, regardless of how it was processed.

Fish I lost to this over a 10 month period. I am not proud of this list at all, but I kept thinking it was cured because I'd go a month clean, and the suddenly lose 4-5 fish in a week.

2 red tail sharks.
2 pearl gourami.
5 adult sailfin mollies and at least a dozen offspring
4 Apistogramma caucatuoides juveniles who were a gift from a friend.
3 angelfish.
2 German rams

At least a dozen adult swordtails and countless offspring. Swordtails seemed especially susceptible.

That was by far the worst experience I've ever had keeping fish. I'm embarrassed that I took that long to discover the culprit. I nearly sold the tank, several times. I was definitely on the verge of giving it up entirely for a while. But I'm a troubleshooter by nature and now have much healthier tanks, and I haven't lost a fish to whirling Disease in over a year.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Freeze drying does not kill 100% of pathogens. Not sure what happened in your case, just wanted to pass that along.

Reactions: BadGaskets

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If this problem returns, use a UV filter (at much higher than typical recommendation). I had a similar issue many years ago.

UV will also kill white spot and is chemical free if you have delicate plants or fish.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Sorry to hear about the troubles. We’ve all had those one off issues so no need to be embarrassed. I’ve lost a ridiculous number of fish to a virulent outbreak of columnaris that was a nightmare to treat.

In the past, I’ve experienced whirling disease with tiny fry and used to treat It with naladixic acid but I no longer see for sale at the LFS. Also, while I’ve had fish become emaciated over time due to internal parasites or tuberculosis, I’ve never seen fish become skinny right away like you have described. It’s definitely puzzling and hope someone can shed light on what’s going on with your fish.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Get the biggest UV you can afford as water clarity, lamp age, water flow rate reductions etc reduce effectiveness. You don't need to run the UV constantly if you only want to eradicate a disease outbreak.

I use a whole of house stainless UV system that is 1.2m long with 200 watt lamps because that's what I already have. I move it from tank to tank to pond etc as I have several fish rooms. I switched to high intensity amalgam lamps which are more powerful (but run hotter temperatures) as some of my tanks are very big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store