White Bass School

pearcepe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2009
Alabama
Finally decided what to do with my 4x4 tank, now I need to get the 180 populated.

I was thinking about a school (maybe 7-10) white bass. I was thinking hybrid but they're a touch to big and finicky to keep more than one.

Anyone have any experience with these. There's an abundance of them around where I live. I've seen them in aquaculture tanks before and they're pretty cool feeders, like a little pack of mean once the food hits the water.

As far as tank I was thinking sand with a chunk rock bottom. I think they enjoy current as they are typically riverine fish. So I might throw in a few powerheads.

Any ideas or knowledge on this species?

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
I have kept white bass before. It was a while ago, so the specifics might be fuzzy. However, I remember that they do well in the aquarium. I didn't have much if any current. No heater. I believe I got them to eat shrimp (can't remember for sure though).

What I did not like about white bass is that in the aquarium they turn a greyish color and the stripes are rather hard to see. A better looking alternative IMO is the yellow bass. They retain the bold striping in the aquarium and the whitish/yellowish hue looks sharp. Unfortunately the yellow bass does not do as well in the aquarium as the white bass IME.

Good luck! Post pics when you get it all set up!

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
I look forward to seeing your setup! Here in Tennessee the white bass move up into free-flowing rivers and creeks to breed but spend most of their time in slackwater reservoirs, so current is probably not very important.

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
have you thought about white perch as an alternative? they are smaller and look similar to white bass minus the stripes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store