White dots on catfish

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
2 of my 3 catfish have these white dots where the fins meet the body. The dots are fairly large and raised. It reminds me of the braille dots on a bathroom sign.

Fish are eating, active, at least for catfish and not flashing.

Any idea what it is?

Last edited:

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Thanks for all the great advice. The bumps started to go away on their own but I still added salt like most said. I also added vitachem to their food. If it doesn't go away I am going to treat with Formaldehyde and Malachite Green. I might also treat with Formaldehyde and Malachite Green in a week as a second defense.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
hard to say for sure but I would worry about parasites. Any new additions? Also what kind of catfish? Just want to make sure it isn't something normal

Reactions: Cu455

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
They are white bullheads, the only thing I have added are non-quarantine feeders. Since my bass is now eating pellets I stopped.

The dots are still there but the catfish look great. I just did a water change and added more salt. I am also going to add some H2O2 and see if they helps. If it doesn't I will treat the tank with forma green.

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
I picked up a group of wild caught Heros a week ago, and one of them has 2 weird white dots that seem somewhat similar, except one is on his tail, and one on the upper part of his eye.

Unfortunately anything that I search for turns up ich. lol

Did you notice if they spread, or did they all just appear then grow?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I picked up a group of wild caught Heros a week ago, and one of them has 2 weird white dots that seem somewhat similar, except one is on his tail, and one on the upper part of his eye.

Unfortunately anything that I search for turns up ich. lol

Did you notice if they spread, or did they all just appear then grow?
I am pretty sure they spread. What are heros?

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
Thanks for getting back to me. Heros is the proper name for "severums"

The fish had 2 dots for the 2 weeks that I have had him, then this morning I looked and he had 2 more right on his nostrils. I as hoping it was just an injury or something but I guess not.

I guess I'll start with salt for a bit. I am already treating for internal parasites just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store