White growth on angelfish chin!!

Tyson Dreha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2018
Sydney
Hi gang. Ive been in the hobby for close to a year now, and have just noticed one of my blue zebra angelfish has a white spot on its chin that protrudes a few mill of with a red base. It looks like a white head or pimple as apposed to ick. I added rainbows and then noticed the spot and thought it might be ick but nothing eventuated, all other fish are clear and it didn’t grow. It remained a flat, pinprick dot.
But this morning I’ve noticed it sticking out with a red base. Hips color is fine, he is eating fine though he is hanging around the sponge filter away from the 4 other angels

Water params are all ideal.
I do a few water changes a week. Generally around 10% and on the weekends ill do a 50% water change, along with the usual scrub down of the glass, gravel and what not.
Background info

Ive got 7 tanks.
3 2fts, 2 3fts, 2 4fts.
The angel tank is a 55gal 4ft. It has 5 baby boesmanis, 5 young angels, 8 rummy noes, 4 salt and pepper Cory’s and a peppermint bristlenoes. ( ill come back to this )
A month ago I had my Aquis 1200 canister filter burn out so I had to do an emergency change to 2 large sponge filters that were fresh from the lfs. I dosed bio starter and did a little pray and to my surprise, the fish all seemed more energetic, with larger appetites and bolder personality’s. Maybe the canister was “ a nitrate factory “ though I don’t really understand what that actually means..

I don’t quarantine my fish because honestly and impatient. Even though I’m aware of the risks, I guess I’ve been seeing the hobby through “invincible” goggles and thought, she’ll be right.
I believe this also goes hand in hand as to the fact that I over stock my tanks pretty bad.
Like I know they are but its like that knowledge doesn’t mean anything to me and ill think “she’ll be right”.
The more I learn the more I feel like I’m moving out of that adolescent, immature mentality of fish keeping and want to do it right. The maintenance has never been an issue. Just the quarantine and over stocking.
Which mind you, is a difficult thing for me to even fully understand. How do you know it’s overstocked? I know people tend to overstock african cichlids to prevent bullying.. also over feeding is another area of confusion that after a year of pondering remains in this bizarre realm of ambiguity...

I’m new here so ill see if I can figure out how to post a photo. It took me bloody 30 mins to figure out how to post a thread so im not so confident.

If anyone has any idea of what the hell is on my angel PLEASE TELL ME
Thanks guys

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi gang. Ive been in the hobby for close to a year now, and have just noticed one of my blue zebra angelfish has a white spot on its chin that protrudes a few mill of with a red base. It looks like a white head or pimple as apposed to ick. I added rainbows and then noticed the spot and thought it might be ick but nothing eventuated, all other fish are clear and it didn’t grow. It remained a flat, pinprick dot.
But this morning I’ve noticed it sticking out with a red base. Hips color is fine, he is eating fine though he is hanging around the sponge filter away from the 4 other angels

Water params are all ideal.
I do a few water changes a week. Generally around 10% and on the weekends ill do a 50% water change, along with the usual scrub down of the glass, gravel and what not.
Background info

Ive got 7 tanks.
3 2fts, 2 3fts, 2 4fts.
The angel tank is a 55gal 4ft. It has 5 baby boesmanis, 5 young angels, 8 rummy noes, 4 salt and pepper Cory’s and a peppermint bristlenoes. ( ill come back to this )
A month ago I had my Aquis 1200 canister filter burn out so I had to do an emergency change to 2 large sponge filters that were fresh from the lfs. I dosed bio starter and did a little pray and to my surprise, the fish all seemed more energetic, with larger appetites and bolder personality’s. Maybe the canister was “ a nitrate factory “ though I don’t really understand what that actually means..

I don’t quarantine my fish because honestly and impatient. Even though I’m aware of the risks, I guess I’ve been seeing the hobby through “invincible” goggles and thought, she’ll be right.
I believe this also goes hand in hand as to the fact that I over stock my tanks pretty bad.
Like I know they are but its like that knowledge doesn’t mean anything to me and ill think “she’ll be right”.
The more I learn the more I feel like I’m moving out of that adolescent, immature mentality of fish keeping and want to do it right. The maintenance has never been an issue. Just the quarantine and over stocking.
Which mind you, is a difficult thing for me to even fully understand. How do you know it’s overstocked? I know people tend to overstock african cichlids to prevent bullying.. also over feeding is another area of confusion that after a year of pondering remains in this bizarre realm of ambiguity...

I’m new here so ill see if I can figure out how to post a photo. It took me bloody 30 mins to figure out how to post a thread so im not so confident.

If anyone has any idea of what the hell is on my angel PLEASE TELL ME
Thanks guys

Welcome aboard

We will wait for a pic it will help to analyze what type of growth it is.

Tyson Dreha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2018
Sydney
4FEA82A2-EC99-41C0-965F-AF80CD2F5145.png E01FEE61-CAF7-400A-8DCD-97BF818683E7.png
Welcome aboard

We will wait for a pic it will help to analyze what type of growth it is.

You can see the length in the first pic and Can see a little bit of red on the area in the second pic. I just noticed the second blue zebra angel had a similar thing in the same area though it’s on the opposite side as the angel in discussion. As I’m writing this I saw a koi angel nip at one of the blue angels in that general area. Maybe it’s a sore that’s infected?

Tyson Dreha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2018
Sydney
image.jpg image.jpg OMG I have no idea how I haven’t seen this before but almost all the angelfish have deteriorated pectoral fins to different levels of severity.
What the hell is going on!!! Haven’t experienced anything like this before.
My poor fish

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1316833 View attachment 1316834 OMG I have no idea how I haven’t seen this before but almost all the angelfish have deteriorated pectoral fins to different levels of severity.
What the hell is going on!!! Haven’t experienced anything like this before.
My poor fish

Tbh I still can't figure out what the growth may be but for the nipped up fins Just normal Cichlid behavior. They have established a pecking order so the weakest of the group will picked on the most. Keep your water in pristine conditions and ragged fins will recover. I recommend adding more plants or driftwood to break the line of sight.

Tyson Dreha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2018
Sydney
image.jpg That’s the current layout. I removed the mangrove for aesthetic purposes. Looks like it’s going back in
Thanks for your help m8

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It could be lymphocytis (sp?), which is a virus that just needs to run its course. Extremely stressful situations can cause a break out. More likely one of the other fish or the fish itself brought it into your tank, and it remained dormant. Monitor for other symptoms like secondary bacterial infections and have Seachem Kanaplex just in case.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
Check out my thread white spot or growth does it look similar. I purchased some new discuss that came out in a couple of these growths they’ve gone down at the moment but I’m keeping my eye on it and making sure the water is super clean.

Reactions: Tyson Dreha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store