White Particles In Aquarium

DKlar42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
I have very small white particles that float around my tank and attach to my plants in my 75 gallon (fake plants because I dont have time for real ones) I've purchased fine particle filter pads and everything. I have a sunsun hw-304b and my tank has been running for quite a while now. When I first got it all going, there were no particles and it was extrememly clear. I feel like the intake doesnt or cant pull in the particles from the tank even though its cycles a TON of water. Am I supposed to take apart the top, clean the fan in the canister? what can I do to get rid of these annoying particles?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Remove the particles, examine them and try to figure out what the source is. "Very small" things are much smaller than "fine particle" filter pads, so you probably are trapping on'y a fraction of them.

Source could be food, the air around the tank, the water (e.g., hard water), something else you are adding to the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Do you have any bubblers or other thing that agitates the surface? A film of protein can form on calm surface water in a tank. When it is disturbed white particles will be in the water.
I run bubblers which break up the surface. It is also sometimes possible to have the outlet of a power filter aimed to agitate the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store