White patch on rosaline shark

Fishnewbie2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2020
I have a new tank about two months old , nothing is testing out of range . I have a Rosaline shark with a white patch and can’t figure out how to treat . I used pimafix and melafix for 7 days and did a water change with no changes seen in the fish . Any ideas?

D4F653C2-4D0C-4D30-86A9-0F151448B503.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d make sure water is clean and make sure it eats. Can dab the area with some methylene blue. Will clear up eventually.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Fishnewbie2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2020
How do you dab the area ? He does still eat but seems to like algae wafers over anything else . The only thing I’ve noticed changing with the water is the alkalinity, which I was told was normal for this area . I bought a pleco a few weeks back that died a week later and that’s when my problems started . I’m learning that the people at petsmart don’t always know what they are talking about . Thanks for the help

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How do you dab the area ? He does still eat but seems to like algae wafers over anything else . The only thing I’ve noticed changing with the water is the alkalinity, which I was told was normal for this area . I bought a pleco a few weeks back that died a week later and that’s when my problems started . I’m learning that the people at petsmart don’t always know what they are talking about . Thanks for the help
Net the fish. Get a qtip and dip in the bottle of MB. Then use qtip and rub the area gently with the qtip. Should stain the area on the fish blue and return back to the fish tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a FYI
Roseline barbs are not really tropical fish, they come from fast flowing, cool waters in India where seasonal water temps are often in the mid to high 60sF to low 70s.
So if your tank temp is constantly and considerably higher, this may cause stress, leading to fungal, or bacterial disease

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
Agree most sales associate's in the aquatics department at Petsmart, Petco, and Petsuppliesplus are not very knowledgeable but tbh most are placed in the department and learn from whom ever is there before them even if they don't have a clue. Those stores are focused on sales of other products other than fish believe me I worked for one of them and would smh everyday from what I heard from fish sales associate's.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
In addition, t sounded as if you added recently purchased fish directly into your aquarium (without a quarantine period). A risky practice, with lots of potential for problems.
The patch on the fish looks like an injury (scraped with something). It should clear following the advise given and maintaining excellent water quality to prevent secondary infections. Good luck!

Fishnewbie2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2020
Just a FYI
Roseline barbs are not really tropical fish, they come from fast flowing, cool waters in India where seasonal water temps are often in the mid to high 60sF to low 70s.
So if your tank temp is constantly and considerably higher, this may cause stress, leading to fungal, or bacterial disease
Just a FYI

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store