White Scab On Head Please Help

Dair

Feeder Fish
Jun 12, 2019
My FH had two small ich looking bumps last night and now its gotton to be one big scab. Can anyone tell if its fungal or anything and how i should treat... thanks

Photo Sep 08, 12 34 30 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 08, 12 34 51 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 08, 12 41 40 PM.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks a bit like fungus. Would just keep ur water clean and consider dabbing the area once a day with some hydrogen peroxide on a qtip. Monitor for sure.

Aquatic.Predator.Keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2019
Florida
I agree with kno4te kno4te that it could be a bit of small fungus.
However... I have a flowerhorn x parrot hybrid that had the exact same thing happen. I dosed the water and kept a vigilant eye on it, and when the spot continued to grow in size and get red around the edges, I immediately knew it was HITH disease (hole-in-the-head). Even though she (my fish) didn't display any odd behavior, she did stop eating. Thankfully, I caught it early enough and did one round of dosage with API General Cure and like magic, the "white scab" disappeared. She began getting her voracious appetite back and is even playful again. So...

Just monitor your fish vigilantly. If you start to notice that the spot on it's head is growing, getting fuzzy-looking, and it starts to refuse food or behave differently than normal, you'll know! Good luck and i hope your fish pulls through it!

Dair

Feeder Fish
Jun 12, 2019
Behavior is totally normal. He is eating and follows me around but the spot is growing so i will trry the general cure. and big water changes daily. ive been extremely busy and he hasnt gotten his usually 4 day water change. He also is very brutal to his head and is it possible he cut himself? he sometimes hits the glass when feeding and also swims into the sides when excited. THANK you for your replies.

water temp suggestions?

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Behavior is totally normal. He is eating and follows me around but the spot is growing so i will trry the general cure. and big water changes daily. ive been extremely busy and he hasnt gotten his usually 4 day water change. He also is very brutal to his head and is it possible he cut himself? he sometimes hits the glass when feeding and also swims into the sides when excited. THANK you for your replies.

water temp suggestions?
76-78. Higher temps can promote growth of more difficult to treat fungus.

Aquatic.Predator.Keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2019
Florida

water temp suggestions?

yeah, self-inflicted injuries are an absolute possibility, too. with fish as big as they are, when they get excited it's like they simply cannot contain it! lol. but if he's doing fine right now, just keep a very close watch on him. the fact that the spot is growing is of definite concern, though. if you start seeing white spots similar to it on his face, like around his nose area, it'll be a dead giveaway for HITH. but water changes will definitely help, maybe a little melafix and/or pimafix. but like i'd said before, it may just not have grasped him yet, but you'll definitely if he doesn't show anymore interested in food, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store