White spots on motoro

CichlidFromAmerica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
New York
Hey guys,

I recently adopted a 6-8 inch motoro. I'm doing a lot of research on them. I have her in a 4x2x1 1/2 tank while I finish cycling a 265 for her. I've had him for 3 days and she is very active, eating black worms 2 times a day. I plan on doing 30-50% water changes once or twice a week. I noticed some white spot that look like skin flaking or Ich even tho I've read they can't get ich. There's a bare bottom and nothing in the tank to scratch herself on. I really want to provide the best possible care to have a happy healthy fish.

Any experienced person with good Information that can help me out I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks guys hopefully I get some peace of mind and find out she's fine. Or if she needs special attention I get the advice to help her. Here's a picture of her where you can see the white dots.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hearing some feed back

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Do you have a water test kit? To test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph?

Your tank is small by stingray standards. I wouldn't be surprised if some values aren't optimal or stable. Check your water.

Are there any tankmates? What's the filtration like? Water change schedule?

CichlidFromAmerica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
New York
appreciate your answer but what could the dots be?

So you're sayin that tank triple to 4 times his width and 7 / 8 times the length of him is small for a holding tank for the month I need to let the 265g finish cycling? And he could have instantly ruined water quality seeing how it happened on day one of him being in the tank? ( this is day 4 of owning him) Water levels are all zeros and ph is 6 ish. Filter is a established wet dry sump and a fluval 406 canister. No tank mates. The rest I feel I answered in the original post.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yes. I'm saying a 60 gallon tank is a smaller vessel of water for any size of stingray. They produce a large volume of waste for their size. While your ray doesn't look like it has anything serious at this point, water quality often first shows symptoms as minor disc irritation.

Long term, you'll likely find that the 265 could be cramped quarters. I would just focus on clean water. Doesn't look like anything too serous yet.

I know your water values are at zero but there should be some level of nitrate present. 4 days isn't a long time at all. Can take weeks to settle in.

CichlidFromAmerica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
New York
Thanks for the help I just did a 75% water change with water I've had getting to the same temp in a 100g horse troff I use to do my basement water changes

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
You should be able to detect levels of nitrate. If you can't then your filtration is not doing it's job mate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store