WHITE STUFF???

Joepardo13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2019
so i got a couple pieces of branches of spider wood from a store, i rinsed it off for a while using hot water then put it into my tank, now there is all these little spots of white stuff thats like attached to the would

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I would say it's a type of mold

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
I have had this with wood iv collected myself, I believe its the sap being released from the wood then going bad in the water, I usually get around it by boiling the wood or putting it in the oven for a wile (dont burn it), this should remove any saps or bad stuff on the wood.

Joepardo13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2019
I have had this with wood iv collected myself, I believe its the sap being released from the wood then going bad in the water, I usually get around it by boiling the wood or putting it in the oven for a wile (dont burn it), this should remove any saps or bad stuff on the wood.
so do you recommend taking it out and boiling it?? and how hot should the water be and how long? also should i treat my fish?

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
I would physicly boil it so get a large pot and get the water boiling and put the wood in keeping the water boiling, doing that for around half an hour to an hour should do the trick.
I would make sure none of the white stuff is floating in the tank and possibly do a water change just to be sure. I didnt suffered ill affects when this happened to me, but I did do a large water change stait away.
I hope this helps, its a lovely looking piece though ?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Fungus, it's pretty common when you put relatively fresh wood into a tank. It's harmless and will disappear after a few weeks.
This. Happens once when moulds feed on the leftover sugars in the wood. After the first time it shouldn't happen again :)

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store