Who has a 100+ gallon tank in a apartment?

Corey11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
I have a 150 gallon tank on the 4th floor run. Anyone else have a large tank in a apartment?

20171113_182857.jpg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; To answer your question, no I have never kept that size tank in an apartment.

That said and at the risk of being a wet blanket I noticed a couple of possible problems when I looked at the picture.
First is the legs of the stand appear to be simple angle iron. I saw nothing to spread the concentrated force where the legs touch the floor. The weight of a 150 will dig those edges into most any floor except maybe cement. May I suggest some sort of metal pad of a few square inches between each leg and the floor. I guess plywood squares would work unless the floor is true wood.

Next thing is that stand does not appear to be stout enough from the photo. At the least check the mfg. rated capacity. Don't think I would put a possible 1500 to 1800 pounds on that.

I hope you got permission for such a tank from the building owner. I also hope you have renters insurance that specifies it will cover the potential damage both structural from the weight and from damage 150 gallons can do. If not you may face a lot of very expensive personal liability.

I hope you have already thought these things out and good luck.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
The beat the dead horse as it were;

Those are basic utility shelves. They WILL NOT handle that tank. I have the same ones. Hopefully you have another stand not pictured.

As someone who once had a large tank on an upper floor, its not the best idea. Ask yourself if you'd be comfortable with a small car on the floor above your head.

On a possible + side. Many countries use concrete flooring for multi level buildings. If so than your floor can handle the weight given a proper stand and proper permissions.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
that tank is too heavy for 4th floor you could be setting yourself up for a law sue that stand will not hold that tank once filled with water

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
So I'm in the process of building a stand and I'm switching walls to a load bearing side with a cinder block perimeter. Thanks for the comments so far!
Hello; Good that you plan a different stand.

I am still interested in the questions about renters insurance and did you get permission from the building owners/managers??

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I am still interested in the questions about renters insurance and did you get permission from the building owners/managers??
To piggy back this. What State/country do you live in? In the US you'll want to look into insurance. As I mentioned before many other countries build from concrete so it should be fine. Also insurance may be more difficult to obtain.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
build from concrete so it should be fine.
Hello; Unfortunately this is not always true. I use to think the same about concrete floors. A few years ago I read an article about floor strength and was a bit surprised to learn that cement floors in some apartment buildings are poured at a strength similar to an average wood floor. From what I recall it depends on the thickness and other measures used during construction.
I will see if I still have the article saved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store