Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Dang it! I thought the one at the back has more slender head only seemed chunky, he just ate. Oh well, will keep searching.

Ull find one eventually :) . wish u luck in ur search!

Reactions: GiantFishKeeper101

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Unless I'm mistaken, Luciopimelodus is limited to the La Plata basin in Brazil/Argentina. Brazil has some of the strictest regulations on the export of food fishes, which is why you see so few large species (like B. tigrinum or B. filamentosum) being exported from there despite the fact that most of their natural range is in Brazil. This is probably the same reason Pseudoplatystoma corruscans is so rare.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, Luciopimelodus is limited to the La Plata basin in Brazil/Argentina. Brazil has some of the strictest regulations on the export of food fishes, which is why you see so few large species (like B. tigrinum or B. filamentosum) being exported from there despite the fact that most of their natural range is in Brazil. This is probably the same reason Pseudoplatystoma corruscans is so rare.
Yeah you're right, never think it that way. I have B. fila from Brazil, according to the shop. Quite pricey too. Always wondered why something so plentiful but quite rare.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
This is probably the same reason Pseudoplatystoma Corruscans is so rare.
May be some of the reason but there are plenty of Corruscans in Argentina/Paraguay in the Rio Paraná just no one seems to be exporting them. There are also several fish farms raising them for sport/food but still none seem to be making it stateside, don't know if the fish farm related specimens are subject to the same exportation rules as the wild stock regarding food species but interesting to think about.

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
May be some of the reason but there are plenty of Corruscans in Argentina/Paraguay in the Rio Paraná just no one seems to be exporting them. There are also several fish farms raising them for sport/food but still none seem to be making it stateside, don't know if the fish farm related specimens are subject to the same exportation rules as the wild stock regarding food species but interesting to think about.
There are also general marketing rules to consider...Fishermen and fish farmers know that people will buy Pseudoplatystoma to eat, but if one went to the trouble of exporting live specimens, how much demand is actually there?

Reactions: amazonfishman

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
With the utter rarity of pati, it should be expected that you can't find them by accident or mislabeled, chances are a million to one.

I'd expect that when you find it, it will be correctly identified and priced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store