Who has liquid rubber tanks still going?

cabinetman

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
nova scotia canada
Hey everyone. A few years back I was looking into different ways of building a monster plywood tank and seriously considered sealing The plywood with liquid rubber. I did end building a 300 gallon plywood back then but ended up using west systems epoxy. Well the 300 came and went and I ended up building a quite a few acrylic tanks My current tank is a 10 foot 560 gallon all made of 1” acrylic. . But I recently sold the whole set up because I want to get having such a large tank out of my house. Well now the definition of a large tank has changed quite a bit since the time when I first started thinking about building tanks. My new plan is to build A small garage or shed and to put a large tank in it. I’m considering going 12’ x 4’ x 4’ with a 10ft 36” high acrylic window. Now as my user name implies im a cabinet guy And I have access to a pressure sprayer and what I thought about doing is building a big plywood tank that size using at least 2 layers of three-quarter inch plywood braced well with a nice heavy duty bracing on the top and then spraying this thing with liquid rubber. So my question is does anybody have any long-term liquid rubber tanks out there?

Reactions: jjohnwm

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hi Cabinet, I just did a pretty good build thread on two pretty large liquid rubber frag tanks here. They have only been fully up and running for about a month or so but doing really well.

cabinetman

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
nova scotia canada
Thanks. I just read through. You helped me make the decision to go with a pond liner lol. I’m planning on glueing it in for a tight fit and glueing the seams

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
I was going to do that, and just kept reading reviews on them failing sometimes at first, sometimes six months down the road. Liquid rubber was more effort though, and presents it's own challenges. Be sure to post your build, I'd be interested in seeing what I didn't go with in action :D

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
C cabinetman , how'd the WestSystem work out? I've got quite a bit left from a Boston Whaler refit but I'm not particularly happy with how waterproof it is on that boat - we've got blisters at 12months. Apparently you need 5 coats to be waterproof... that's not in WestMarine's literature. We did 3+ thinking this was overkill, but apparently that not adequate. West Marine sells "waterproofing" additives - any good?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store