Who has the Largest Ropefish?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I have been searching for the largest examples of each polypterus species I can acquire. But one of the hardest to find at a good size seems to be ropefish. The largest I have had was about 15". So what is the largest ropefish you have seen in person or owned?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have been searching for the largest examples of each polypterus species I can acquire. But one of the hardest to find at a good size seems to be ropefish. The largest I have had was about 15". So what is the largest ropefish you have seen in person or owned?
twentyleagues twentyleagues

Reactions: twentyleagues

Polymetes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2021
Don't they get 36" in the wild? I have only seen some around 24" at the Denver aquarium years back.

• Wow
Reactions: Caveden

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
Don't they get 36" in the wild? I have only seen some around 24" at the Denver aquarium years back.
The claim they reach 36 inches is untrue, this size was copied from an old Polypterus care sheet and, as like a lot of online care websites, they umbrella Polypteridae together (you'll note, if you trace back the references of this size, it leads to a dead end). From memory, most of these care sheets are based from both or either Polypterus endlicherii and P. senegalus as these appeared earlier in the trade for many countries.

Ropefish tend to reach around 18 inches during their long lifespan (even in the wild), infact, I'm not aware of any larger than this, although I don't doubt there are some. 24 inch sounds rather too large, although 20 inches, maybe 22 is probably more reasonable. A large public aquarium provides a safer enviroment than the wild, and quite often better care than what is possible in the aquarium hobby, so specimens can reach sizes which wouldn't normally be possible. Aquariums and zoos really do hold some hidden gems (I'm sure Denver Aquarium is no exception), although, due to their highly serpentine shape, they easily look longer than what they actually are.

Hope this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store