Who Makes a Good Large Acrylic Tank?

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
NWatson;5073580; said:
I did not buy from fishtanks direct and am glad I did not. The only problem I have with tencor is there is no lifetime warranty on there tanks unless you have the tank on there stand.
This is true, you do need to have one of their stands to have a vaild warranty. I wouldn't worry about it that much since their tanks are rock solid. I spoke to the company specifically about this issue with the warranty and I got the feeling that they were tired of customers doing stupids things and then coming back to the company. Case in point is of a story they told me of when someone set the tank tights resting directly on top of the tank which then proceded to melt the top.

lawrencewheaton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I was on another site where people were complaining about recent problems with Tenecor. They were allegedly taking deposits for new orders, but not filling them. I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but my LFS said they have had difficulties getting their orders from Tenecor filled as well. My LFS advised me to look somewhere other then Tenecor in the short term.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The owner at Midwest Custom Aquariums was good to deal with. We were newbies, and he even found a wet/dry filter that would work for us. (we didn't know anything about filtration)

maxxxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Needham, MA
www.linkedin.com
I can't let these comments go without giving my experience with them.... I spent a lot of money on my tank. When it is finally set up, if it doesn't hold water, I am sure that I will have to eat the whole loss. When it comes to this company, BUYER BEWARE.
**Caveat** I know NOTHING about fishtanksdirect other what I've read on the web

However if you feel like you were scammed, you might consider looking into your states consumer protection statutes. I'm not suggesting you go at them guns blazing with lawyer in hand; but I thoughtful well written letter referencing with specificity your states consumer protections laws can do wonders :)

I just think given the insane amount of money we spend on our hobby we should keep in mind that we have rights as consumers. No one shelling out the money needed to buy a large tank from a reputable commercial supplier should ever walk away feeling like they got cheated.

my two cents @ 2am

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
erk419;5070661; said:
I've heard good things about glass cages but don't know if they make acrylic tanks

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com
I've heard nothing but bad things about glass cages

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
maxxxx;5098307; said:
**Caveat** I know NOTHING about fishtanksdirect other what I've read on the web

However if you feel like you were scammed, you might consider looking into your states consumer protection statutes. I'm not suggesting you go at them guns blazing with lawyer in hand; but I thoughtful well written letter referencing with specificity your states consumer protections laws can do wonders :)

I just think given the insane amount of money we spend on our hobby we should keep in mind that we have rights as consumers. No one shelling out the money needed to buy a large tank from a reputable commercial supplier should ever walk away feeling like they got cheated.

my two cents @ 2am
I must agree with Maxxxx. His points of concern seem plausible and sound. It's something to keep in mind. When I get relocated in Phillips,WI, I'm going to look into purchasing an acrylic with a stand as well. So I will think about all of this and advise given from all who has contributed to the OP's initial question. My thanks to everyone. Sorry for the hi-jack, lawrencewheaton. Now back to our regular programing.

pseudodoras

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
san diego
i ordered my tank 8 weeks ago and havnt got it yet starting to worry a bit since call hasnt been returned . dont want to jump the gun and bad mouth yet but i will definitley get back to you all on this once i find out whats going on

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
pseudodoras;5098713; said:
i ordered my tank 8 weeks ago and havnt got it yet starting to worry a bit since call hasnt been returned . dont want to jump the gun and bad mouth yet but i will definitley get back to you all on this once i find out whats going on
Please keep us posted. Whom did you order your tank through, what size did you order, and did they give you a delivery date? Thanks.

pseudodoras

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
san diego
they said 6 to 8 weeks its a 450 gallon . i called again today and left message and no call back . im going to give them a day or so to communicate before i name them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store