Who makes good heaters these days?

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
I use an aqua medic twin controller with a titanium rod, maybe a bit overkill for your case but its been with me for 8 years now and still does its job perfectly.

The controller doesnt drift off like the cheap glas rods, and the titanium rod is pretty much indestrucable by what you expect in an aquarium to happen.

But you can put any heater you have lying around on that controller.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
You can buy plastic shotgun wads, used for reloading ammunition, very inexpensively in big bags. They're like Poor Man's Bioballs, less surface area but so cheap that as long as you have a big enough bio chamber you're golden. They last forever, work well, and...best of all...weigh next to nothing, so removing them for the occasional quick rinse or simply reconfiguring your filtration a bit is very easy.
This is a great set up from my experience.

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
I'm a big believer in overkill. I've just been reading about a lot of heaters failing. Either burning out or shattering. Myself, I had an Aqueon heater that I had less than 24 hours in the tank before it started leaking something, That was the reason I went with a Hygger titanium rod and controller for my quarantine tank.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I really have had good luck with aqueon pros. They are cheap, titanium alloy so they won’t break, adjustable. And They also have lifetime warranty. Petco matches their online price in store so I can go snag a few whenever I want for sub 50 bucks

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
I really have had good luck with aqueon pros. They are cheap, titanium alloy so they won’t break, adjustable. And They also have lifetime warranty. Petco matches their online price in store so I can go snag a few whenever I want for sub 50 bucks
Aqueon is the heater that leaked on me and mine wasn't the only one returned that day. It might have been a bad batch but that made me somewhat uneasy about them.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Nobody makes a good heater. Back in the days, the old green Eheims were extremely reliable but nowadays, all brands are all prone to failure.

I think Aqueon Pros and Eheims are better than most but I still buy backups just in case and always hook them up to Inkbird temp controllers.

I once lost an colony of 22 adult zebra plecos due to the heater thermostat getting stuck in the on position.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store