Who's got the biggest butti?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
mine is around 13 inch now, still waiting for proof of the elusive 2ft butti, find it hard to believe they get bigger than arapaimag can get one in his 56k gallon over a decade old! some tilapia look pretty similar to butti, maybe thats what you saw??? my tile in my tank on the side view are 600mm so judge for yourself on the size of mine, tank is 34 inch front to back!-)
[video=youtube;4Q9Q5bbKb1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9Q5bbKb1g[/video]

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
[video=youtube;G36VwhxW6Vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36VwhxW6Vk[/video]

How about a 2 foot one?
How big is that tank? Do you think it would be asking for trouble to put a Butti in a 700g (8'x4') with many of the same types of cichlids that are in your video?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
/\ if thats 2ft that would make the oscar at 1.13 20 inch lol.... i think you will be fine mate, mines in a 300g with equally aggressive fish and is fine... tanks size is everything.

crash83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Houston,Tx
I had gone through about 6 of them back in the early 2000's We had never seen them before.
Raised them up and ended up with a female [she killed everything]...
A customer brought back a trade in[we had sold it to him at 3".] and i took "her " home.
I had both of them in 75 gallon tanks next to each other [touching].
And they fought like cats and dogs to get at each other so i threw them in a 3000 gallon tub and after a few days they had spawned. Had to separate them as soon as the eggs hatched.
Had the pair for a few years and had to do that a few times a year.
Any way my female when i sold the pair was 21" and the male was 18.5.
That was 15 years ago and supposedly the guy still has them.
He put them in a 1 acre heated pond.

pagdenjohn@

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2015
Apex Aquariums in LA had one that was like 24+ inches. No joke, I had no idea they could get that big...It was huge! They told me the guy who had it kept it in a pond for like 6-7 years and then gave it to Apex cause he wanted to start over with smaller fish. When I first saw it I jokingly asked how much? Guy said - $100 dollars and it's yours. I think they wanted to get rid of him since he was taking up a 300 gallon tank all by himself. Anyway, someone must have bought it cause it is not there any more but they have one around 16 inches now and some similarly sized red devils or midas, not sure. They also have maybe 7-8 Pacu from 16 inches to over two feet long and tall. The Pacus are all in the same tank which sucks as far as space, but they are all fish that people returned because they clearly did not think long term.
yes i have seen a monster about 20 inches in length at a fish show at Leeds uk . the owner worked at a local power station and said he kept it in a small lake where the water was used in the power station so the water was perfect for growing it on. I had one that grew to 16 inches eventually in a normal 60 inch aquarium with good food and plenty of wc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store