Why are canister filters so popular despite their drawbacks? Rant.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
As most of us know, canister filters come with a major drawback of being user unfriendly and hard to to clean. To do so they must be depressurized, shut down, taken apart, put back together again, and possibly restarted several times because they don't always restart at once.

In fact, this drawback leads to quite a few more. Usually these go one or more of these 3 ways.
The first is that because one must go through all that difficulty to clean it, they don't clean it, and so gunk keeps on accumulating, and eventually decomposing. This spews NO3 back into the tank over and over and over again, smothers nitrifying bacteria, creates a great breeding ground for pathogens like columnaris, and can easily produce fish-killing H2SO4 in a power outage.

The second is that when one actually puts in the effort to clean a canister frequently enough to prevent the first drawback, it tends to rapidly fall apart because it's not designed for such frequent taking apart and putting back together.
This is to be expected from a filter which is made to be infrequently cleaned, and markets itself as such.

The third can happen together with the first or second, as it is an 'inherent' drawback of the canister.
Because they are pressurized, catastrophic leaks can happen, causing a great deal of damage and aggravation.

So then why, despite all this, are they so popular? To me it seems like their marketing is winning over consumers taking it at face value.

They are fancy named, have fancy looking media, and have fancy looking parts such as spraybars, O-rings, and compartments. They are large and expensive, which makes them seem even fancier at face value.
Their packaging (eg: FX6) comes in very large, eye-catching letters detailing all the 'fancy' parts. And they make water look clear despite often simultaneously dirtying it, adding onto the illusion even further.

If there was ever a poorer aquarium filter with this popularity, I'm unaware of it.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've never owned a cannister filter, for the reasons you mention, and probably a whole lot more too!! There just seems to be way more negative attributes than positives when you read through multiple hobbyists experiences with them.

When you list all the bad things about cannisters, and then list all the good things about sumps, i'm at a loss as to why cannisters haven't become totally obsolete!!

But I also understand that they do have a place in a lot of hobbyists set ups, some hobbyists swear by them, just as some hobbyists swear by sumps.

It's each to their own I suppose.

One thing is for sure though, they must have one helluva marketing team!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Best use for cans imo is for augmenting mechanical filtration which they excel at. I don't like them as a standalone filtration method and they simply can't replace a sump for sheer volume, versatility and ability to store equipment. So if it's one or the other I always rank sump higher.

I've heard they can be used to great success in conjunction with an effective autodrip system. I think the autodrip cuts down on the necessary maintenance quite a bit which is their biggest problem imo.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I hate canisters, plain and simple. I'm sure that some are as well-designed as they can be, but the limitations of the canister "philosophy" can only be mitigated so far. Many years ago, when the Fluval canisters were new and heavily marketed, I fell for the hype and bought a couple. I hated them pretty much from the get-go, for all the reasons outlined above and others as well.

But they are undeniably popular, and I think I know why: they look nice. A healthy, established, properly-functioning sump is usually a visual mess. That means nothing to me, but a lot of aquarists are always posting shots of their hardware, the long-running "what's under your stand?" thread is a perfect example of that.

But a canister is a closed, clean, high-tech-looking cylinder that many aquarists look at with lust in their eyes. Wow, is that ever cool! I gotta get me one of those! That just has to be the bestest filter in the world!

In reality, that closed cylinder...which is, unsurprisingly, almost always made of opaque material...is full of a concentrated, low-volume collection of all the crap that a sump puts in open view. A filthy, clogged, low-flowing canister...looks just as nice as a brand new one.

Canisters are perfect for tanks stocked with those little plastic fish that are tethered to weights on the bottom with near-invisible monofilament lines. They bob about joyfully, never poop, don't care about water quality, and never fight or breed or do anything else inconvenient. A shiny canister is made for that kind of tank.

Sumps...and sponges and Mattenfilters and HOB's, for that matter...are for real tanks housing real fish. :)

All personal opinion, of course, but based on experience and logic. YMMV...I've gotta say that to be polite, but in reality I can't see how it could be true...:)

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Couldn't disagree more! And I started in the 1960s and I've done various types of filtration. Like anything there are different preferences, different ways to do things, and one person weighs the pros and cons differently than another, but I've used canisters, though not exclusively, for about 20 years and for me the cons mentioned above are exaggerated. Much exaggerated in some respects. For example, I don't know what canister you'd have to have or what you'd be doing wrong for them not to restart after a water change-- I simply don't have that problem, including large water changes below the intakes.

Meanwhile, I continue to have healthy, long lived fish, low nitrates, etc., just as I have with most other filtration methods. Obviously, like any product, all canisters are not equal and there are good ones and troublesome ones.

Like a number of other things when keeping fish, there is no single, cosmic truth in filtration. If you like what you have and it works for you, knock yourself out. Doesn't make someone else an idiot because they do something else.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Couldn't disagree more! And I started in the 1960s and I've done various types of filtration. Like anything there are different preferences, different ways to do things, and one person weighs the pros and cons differently than another, but I've used canisters, though not exclusively, for about 20 years and for me the cons mentioned above are exaggerated. Much exaggerated in some respects. For example, I don't know what canister you'd have to have or what you'd be doing wrong for them not to restart after a water change-- I simply don't have that problem, including large water changes below the intakes.

Meanwhile, I continue to have healthy, long lived fish, low nitrates, etc., just as I have with most other filtration methods. Obviously, like any product, all canisters are not equal and there are good ones and troublesome ones.

Like a number of other things when keeping fish, there is no single, cosmic truth in filtration. If you like what you have and it works for you, knock yourself out. Doesn't make someone else an idiot because they do something else.
I agree, to each his own...and I certainly wasn't implying any degree of idiocy on anyone's part, if that comment was aimed at me. Apologies if it sounded that way.

Just out of curiosity...I have two sumps that operate 5 tanks, totalling roughly 770 gallons. Replacing the foam mechanical media in those two sumps takes approximately 60 seconds, which includes walking across the basement from one to the other. Add to that another 10 minutes or so to power-wash the old foam to get it ready for the next cleaning...which I might do daily when at home, or might leave for a couple of weeks at a time if away from home. How long does it take to clean even one canister filter? And what are the odds of it being done daily, or even weekly....or even monthly? I don't think you could deny that the more organic waste you can remove before it is broken down by bacteria, the slower the build-up of nitrates in your water.

The one cosmic truth of aquarium-keeping...or anything else in life...is to do what you like and what works for you. :)

Wideglide04

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2022
NE Alabama
For me I dont have the room for a sump. My tanks are in my bedroom so sound is an issue as well. I would like to be able to use sump but, since I dont have the room canisters to the rescue lol. I also use a hob on my tanks as well. I clean the hob weekly and the canisters once a month. In truth my nitrates are always under 20 and usually closer to 10. When I do clean my canisters out they're never what I would call dirty. I've saw the videos where they look like a big cow pie on the inside but I've never saw this with mine. The first sponge will have a little bit of gunk on it but the other 3 pieces look unused. The bio media in the other baskets don't have any sludge or gunk on them either. Idk if ones better than the other but so far I enjoy my canisters. Keep in mind my tanks are much smaller and there are way fewer than what you guys have so theres that also. But imo canisters have there place just like every other filtration method on the market if used correctly and maintained... Truth is if you can't clean your canister once a month your probably not cleaning any other filtration on a weekly basis either

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Yes nice to have more filtration choices. I prefer to use canisters for biological only. Avoiding any particulate matter getting in means I haven't cleaned several of my canisters for 5 to 6 years (could be more).

Don't overlook undergravel filtration if you dislike canisters. They are much more effective than canisters and almost the complete opposite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store