Why are motoro stingrays illegal in California? (serious question)

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Isn't Stingray Biology in California!
they hold a special permit to export out of the country and to legal states. Just like many of the Florida importers, can bring them into Florida, just not sell them locally. Does that make sense?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
they hold a special permit to export out of the country and to legal states. Just like many of the Florida importers, can bring them into Florida, just not sell them locally. Does that make sense?
That explains it! Thanks Wes! Such a shame they can't enjoy the great Flat fish!

ashtonmccants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2016
Isn't Stingray Biology in California!
It is. I believe Kevin has a special permit to breed and export from California, but he is not able to sell to California residents. I am still in the process of figuring out how the whole permit thing works with the DFG in California. I know there is a fee associated every year, along with bi-annual inspections that are paid for by the owner of the ray.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It's a non-profit originally set up Dr. Richard Ross. The old school "God" of ray keeping and the literal author of the book about freshwater rays. Without someone reputable like him on your team, there is small chance to get another non-profit authorized in California to keep freshwater rays outside of a commercial aquarium exhibit.

If you get a PHD in biology, study them extensively for years, then approach the state with your body of work and explain how they are in danger in their native habitats, and how you benefit the species with your work then you maybe will have a chance to get a Cali permit.

Probably easier to move to friendly state. We've got some property for sale up here in Washington :)

ashtonmccants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2016
It's a non-profit originally set up Dr. Richard Ross. The old school "God" of ray keeping and the literal author of the book about freshwater rays. Without someone reputable like him on your team, there is small chance to get another non-profit authorized in California to keep freshwater rays outside of a commercial aquarium exhibit.

If you get a PHD in biology, study them extensively for years, then approach the state with your body of work and explain how they are in danger in their native habitats, and how you benefit the species with your work then you maybe will have a chance to get a Cali permit.

Probably easier to move to friendly state. We've got some property for sale up here in Washington :)
Great breakdown. I have the paperwork and I'm currently waiting on someone to call me back from DFG. I will keep you guys posted as I proceed with the process. Dr. Richard Ross is an MD and I'm in medical school myself. I am hoping to make my experience all about freshwater ray keeping and actually put together some publishable research about the species and the hobby. It will be interesting to say the least, but I am up for the challenge :)

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Great breakdown. I have the paperwork and I'm currently waiting on someone to call me back from DFG. I will keep you guys posted as I proceed with the process. Dr. Richard Ross is an MD and I'm in medical school myself. I am hoping to make my experience all about freshwater ray keeping and actually put together some publishable research about the species and the hobby. It will be interesting to say the least, but I am up for the challenge :)
Well this is great news. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. I have known some serious fish keepers in California with major sums of money. They ultimately failed in obtaining a permit but don't let this discourage you from pursuing something. If you are like me this will only motivate you. Let us know if the community can help and support.

Best of luck

Reactions: ashtonmccants

ashtonmccants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2016
Well this is great news. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor. I have known some serious fish keepers in California with major sums of money. They ultimately failed in obtaining a permit but don't let this discourage you from pursuing something. If you are like me this will only motivate you. Let us know if the community can help and support.

Best of luck
Thanks a bunch. I am optimistic, but I am also realistic. I know it has been tried before, but the worst they can say is no :)

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think it will help to set up something that's a 501 (c) 3 non profit that benefits fish, then adopt the stingray under that umbrella. Might be a good path. I'm routing for you.

Reactions: ashtonmccants
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store