Why are people so butthurt over feeding live foods to pets?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
I don't care what people think. I feed my two armatus live only. They were bred for food like cows and chickens were also bred for food. If they want to get butt sore, go ahead, I'll just throw another one in there.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I hate those videos were the guy is laughing at the fish or whatever being shredded. Grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
There's a difference in feeding a pet some feeders, and taking pride in it harming another animal. One is significantly more f'd up than the other. Yes it's life, but getting joy from it is not so ok.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
As far as fish go, unless the animal would rather starve to death there's no real reason to feed feeders over processed food, and many risks.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
If you feed live prey occasionally or as needed for the good of your pet, that's fine. If you do it in a way that you put your own animals at risk, or gratuitously/needlessly, just because you like using your animals as a garbage disposal for small animals... you're an idiot.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
If you feed live prey occasionally or as needed for the good of your pet, that's fine. If you do it in a way that you put your own animals at risk, or gratuitously/needlessly, just because you like using your animals as a garbage disposal for small animals... you're an idiot.
This probably the best thing I've read on this site.

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
If people get butthurt from seeing live feeders get eaten, I'd definitely recommend you not watch the clip of a lady feeding kittens to sharks! Just saying

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

drewb629

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2014
Buffalo,Ny
It's pretty funny considering that every single one of those people who comment can suck a big fat one because they have all eaten meat before. Can't a fish or snake or whatever can have some too?

Smh people are crazy

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hooah

This.

I don't get the people who go to the vids just to complain about them. Then again, I do NOT like the people who only have a vicious fish to watch it tear apart Koi.

Oddly enough though, I do give my predators a live treat from time to time. I prefer it to be appropriate to the predator at hand, but it isn't always. I'm convinced that the occasional live prey is good for the mental wellbeing of the predator.

I guess I fall in the middle of the road on this.
Hooah. (sorry...anytime I see it...I have to give one back...)

I'm the same way...live feeders are dangerous if used irresponsibly with no prep/QT time or if you only like to see things get torn to shreds. I just can't justify feeding my fish pellets when it hunts on a daily basis. My pickerel only eats live, end of story...my bullhead eats everything, and as such gets pellets because he takes them readily, not out of starvation.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
To a degree, doesn't feeding live fish to other fish make us hypocrites? Why are we in the hobby? To keep fish and attempt to better their lives.
I'd have to say being a hypocrite is owning a solely predatory fish (I'm talking ONLY predatory, not omnivorous/scavenger) and forcing it to take food it would have no intention of taking in the wild. I agree with what you mean about us keeping fish to give them a good life, but I think that falls into the category of feeding live only for enjoyment, not because you feel its best for your wet pet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store