Why do many Filipinos like putting potentially large fish in small tanks?

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I see many people in the Philippines put alligator gars in small aquariums, including channa argus, like seriously these fish grow up to a meter where are you gonna put them when they grow huge. If ever they don't grow it is because their growth is stunted due to the limited tank dimensions. I've talked to some people who intentionally plan on stunting their fishes' growth..
same everywhere just all over asia get that rep but really that's where most of the fins come from anyway...

In Asia, lack of space, expensive tanks and cheap fish.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Space is at a premium in places like Japan, Singapore, and Korea with families happily living in spaces Americans would deem tiny. Maybe they just don’t have the same paradigms folks over here have regarding proper tank space or they just don’t have the room to spare. Could explain their love for shortbody anything.

Cant say the same for China or Philippines as I haven’t been and don’t know what living conditions are like. What I can say though, it’s not for lack of fish knowledge. I am always astonished how healthy their fish look even in such “crowded” conditions.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
I agree I think that's why they lean more on aquascaping, shrimp or small group of fish esp for Koreans, Japanese and Singaporean I've met and visited. The thing that catch me tho are the exotic and expensive fish they have on a small tanks. They are well taken care tho.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
When you measure in litre the scale increases, or rather gets measured by equivalence in other country's "standard." Most aro keeper i know overseas for asian is average 240 litre. That's 65 gallons so yes, it's funny how the "standard" gets overlooked when you compare to skill level, or just plain & simple a different style of fish keeping. Bigger the tank not necessarily the better, but the better the fish...tank size gonna get questioned. Keep a sturgeon in a little pond vs keep a big ass dog in a little bitty backyard, Same same same.

If u can rock an asian aro in any tank that it'll eat in & stay healthy in, who cares where u live just try not to compare your style of fish keeping in respects to those that keep perhaps the opposite style. Make it your own + love your fish that's all that matters. Seen bad ass aros in tiny tanks that'll fade some monster tanks any day.

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
Lack of knowledge and impulsive buying. Which most beginners do. Even Pet shop seller here are not knowledgeable. As long as they can sell it is fine. I think this applies not only here but also around the globe.

Reactions: Bbuckley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store