Why does my oscar dig?

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
graham;737506; said:
I actually just moved the gravel back and while I was doing so he was getting all hot and bothered my hand was in the tank. He got the usual flared gills mean look on his face so I spread my and hand and showed him who was boss. he backed down.
This may work but unless you can stay right on top of it you might find your filtration not to be as well if he's digging all the time and leaving empty spots.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Oscars dig in order to build nests, along with just about every other cichlid. You cannot stop it. You should remove the UGF though. Even if the oscar didn't dig a UGF it would still produce a lot more waste then the filter could handle.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
cichlaguapote;736789; said:
He's digging his way back to South America...
LOL! Perhaps he is searching for treasure...

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
My oscar are redecorators...a friend oscars throw racks at each other:ROFL: more like spitting rocks but its funny.

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
My Red Devil is a digger as well. He moves all the gravel to the front of the tank and builds a berm there. He maintains it and regularly scoops up stray gravel and puts it where it belongs. Needless to say, my UGF is useless so I will be re-purposing the powerheads.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
If you want to make him happy, throw a shovel in there for him. Better yet, get him a backhoe and a hardhat to help him along. :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store