Why does my Senegal hang out at the surface?

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
I'm still new to these guys so please forgive any dumb questions. I have a juvi albino Senegal that I've seen just floating at the surface the past couple of days. It is in with another juvi Senegal in a 3 gallon (I know its too small but its the best I have until they are big enough for my 75), both fish are less than 3 inches long. I know its not a swim bladder thing because it can stay on the bottom with no and my tank is well established. I have not tested water but I change 80% or more every few days. I see it go up for air, and then go back to the bottom, but every now and then, it just floats up to the surface and stays there for a while. Is this normal?

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Normal behavior. Wouldn’t worry about it unless it can’t stay at the bottom or not eating.

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
Great, thanks! it currently doesnt have a problem staying on the bottom but I will keep an eye on it for sure. I have been seeing it pick up some of the food that stays on the surface. Im feeding sinking shrimp pellets but every now and then one will stay on the surface and the Senegal will go over and pick it up

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
Update: the little fella is still hanging out at the top, he does go and sit at the bottom occasionally but he seems to float back up unless he is really wanting to be at the bottom. Is there anything I should do about this? or is this fish just a bit of a dope and likes to float?

I will add that i do still see him just sitting on the bottom without issues, but its when he swims down to sit, his butt starts to float up some.

E_polypterus

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2018
Update: the little fella is still hanging out at the top, he does go and sit at the bottom occasionally but he seems to float back up unless he is really wanting to be at the bottom. Is there anything I should do about this? or is this fish just a bit of a dope and likes to float?

I will add that i do still see him just sitting on the bottom without issues, but its when he swims down to sit, his butt starts to float up some.
i think its quite normal for juveniles to float on the surface, in the wild some do it to float nearby driftwood to catch prey or as hiding places. though how long it lasts vary from each fish imo, ive heard some fish at 8 inches doing it as well ;--;
about his rearside floating up slightly, im not too sure but it could just be some weird stunt by the fish or maybe it could be a symptom of swim bladder.
a picture might help a bit more

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
A few of mine like to rest/float at the top. Sounds normal to me. Some just like to do that. My 6-7 inch albino loves to float at the top of the tank. When he was younger, he would love to sit above the heater like he was in a hot tub. Additionally, some of my bigger polys 9inch or so, occasionally also like to rest at the top( especially in the plants). My other two polys don't care for resting at the top as much.

Regardless, if there is space in the tank, it might be helpful to have a small plant at the bottom for something for them to hide in ( if there is not currently one). You don't have to do this, but I find mine like resting on the bottom near hides or sitting on/in/above plants.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store