why does some pvc pipe float and some doesnt?

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
i dont know why but those are some interesting findings

~THEO~

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Bris-ney land, Australia
I had a 90 degree bend that would sink, and a straight piece that would float and i would have to put a rock on it.

I would put it down to how dense the piece is. If an item is less dense then water, it will float.

sellwoc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2007
scotland
I make plastic for a living and and without boring you to tears about it all, it's due to the density and grade of plastic the pipe is made out of. Some being more dense than others and hense it sinks, even if it is the same thickness. The idea behind it all is different grades give different properties. i.e strength, flexability, etc... hope this helps

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
~THEO~;1472329; said:
I had a 90 degree bend that would sink, and a straight piece that would float and i would have to put a rock on it.

I would put it down to how dense the piece is. If an item is less dense then water, it will float.
weird
and i had rocks on my pipe but im scared if it comes loose it will shoot up 2 feet and smash the top of the aquarium :WHOA:

and about dense,wouldnt a long 2" piece be more dense then a short 4" piece?
or am i way off?lol

and i just cut some 3" pvc,with a hacksaw,at 1230 in the morning :ROFL:
anyways........3" sinks....

~THEO~

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Bris-ney land, Australia
midnight;1472362; said:
and about dense,wouldnt a long 2" piece be more dense then a short 4" piece?
or am i way off?lol
Density is mass (kg) per unit volume(m3), meaning the ratio of the amount of matter in an object. A rock is very dense because it has a high mass compared to unit volume. Your piping will only sink if its density is greater than that of your water. Pure water has a density of 1000 kg/m3.

So just because an item is larger, doesn't mean it will be more dense.

hope it helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store