Why haven't Coldwater species have been popularized yet?

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
Also, think of the killies too: Like Bluefins, and flagfish. And we haven't mentioned yet the sailfin mollies either... Those are all popular aquarium species, though not at all coldwater. If we step into temperate waters, we also have pygmy sunfish. The males can be jet black with those neon blue stripes.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I have a fifty gallon river tank set up and waiting for some panda garra, which I think are pretty cool. If my lfs fails again this week I`m going native with it, though i still don`t know what I would do with fry if they spawn. We`re not supposed to release them into the wild (using them for bait would be the same thing), the local shops won`t take them. I live in a rural area and if folks want minnows they go to the tackle shops and buy them.

I have a creek running on my property and I might fill it with only species I know live in it. At this point I know there are brookies and dace (not sure what species). I have not confirmed creek chubs and shiners. It is small, averaging about five feet wide and less than two feet deep. I digress.

It seems there is an active community of native fish keepers, though small, on the net and that should help encourage more people to keep natives. But temperate fish are found all over the planet. I have seen videos of people fishing with hook and line in China and catching some beautiful chub like fish and cyprinids that look like trout. Then there is the Alaska Blackfish, very cool fish, one I would go for in a heart beat!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a fifty gallon river tank set up and waiting for some panda garra, which I think are pretty cool. If my lfs fails again this week I`m going native with it, though i still don`t know what I would do with fry if they spawn. We`re not supposed to release them into the wild (using them for bait would be the same thing), the local shops won`t take them. I live in a rural area and if folks want minnows they go to the tackle shops and buy them.

I have a creek running on my property and I might fill it with only species I know live in it. At this point I know there are brookies and dace (not sure what species). I have not confirmed creek chubs and shiners. It is small, averaging about five feet wide and less than two feet deep. I digress.

It seems there is an active community of native fish keepers, though small, on the net and that should help encourage more people to keep natives. But temperate fish are found all over the planet. I have seen videos of people fishing with hook and line in China and catching some beautiful chub like fish and cyprinids that look like trout. Then there is the Alaska Blackfish, very cool fish, one I would go for in a heart beat!
Most native stream inhabitants are more difficult to spawn unless you give them a cooling period where the water is below 50 degrees. So I doubt worry to much about spawning. But if they do spawn, join a local fish club and try to get some others interested in natives as well!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice topic...
Ive been reading up on temperate water fish for my daughters tank ended up with white clouds and a paradise fish, i know not native but hey i let her pick the fish. Personal preference dictates the tropical vs native imo. Sunfish are nice looking but natives dont look like these guys
uploadfromtaptalk1427595543279.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427595493962.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427595467187.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427595444345.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427595416607.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Oh yeah not my fish...just pics from the net

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I think 9 out of 10 people will choose a sa/ca tank over a native.

Two large tanks side by side...natives (say sunfish) in one and a vieja/paraneetroplus comm in the other....who is gonna say the natives LOOK better ?

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Goldfish and Koi are coldwater, and very popular.

I think the barrier to natives is all the regulations restricting them.
The LFS doesn't want the hassle, and the vast majority of the customers will just pick from stock anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store