Why I think Aquascping and lots o' fish looks good, BUT only in other peoples tanks.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree with the masses here...

Always had aquascaped or decorated tanks could never stand bare bottom tanks or undecorated tanks but thats me...

As for the bonding thing, i will always have a puffer as a wet pet so theres the bonding part, and the other tanks satisfy my other fish keeping needs such as my paludarium and polleni tank...

Lastly just to add, i'd rather keep a happy fish i rarely/never see, then a fish in a bare tank with nothing to do...

But again, thats just me, and i'm not puting any one down who prefers to keep bare tanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

3dees

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 23, 2010
Chicago suburb
I could never have a bare tank. the scape is just as important as the fish. my tank is set up for my wild discus, yet I doubt they would care if the decorations were real or fake. the tank is set up the way I want it to look. some people may not like my tank just as I would'nt like a tank with neon gravel. it's a personal thing and the tank only has to please the one who looks at it every day.

d,tank sm.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I don't think you're alone, but probably in a small minority :)

The great thing about this hobby is that you can focus on what you like. If it makes you happy to see the filters & equipment along with a single fish in the tank then great!

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
All of the above :nilly:

I actually have different tanks for different itches, my planted tank is literally an aquatic garden. The fish and inverts and such are chosen to compliment or support the plant life and design aesthetic. I've enjoyed culturing a nearly complete eco system into a beautiful piece of gardening art.

I enjoy equipment as you do but when considering the above piece I realize how one benefits for the concealment and or removal of hardware. Hardware is the reminder that what you view is an aquarium not a water garden. I sorta breaks the illusion if in that instance.

I think hardware is cool when I'm not trying to transcend the aquarium ya know. I have a fish room with... lots of exposed awesome filtration and plumbing all over and I love it!

I enjoy over stocked and under stocked but and the end of the day while I consider some fish to be wet pets I don't keep them isolated. Bichir for starters are definitely a wet pet, same with rope fish, My severum hulk, and a few other choice cichlids.

I get why you keep your fish the way you do I just don't. I want it all though so maybe one day.

godog427

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Cranston, R.I.
I also have different setups depending on how i wish to enjoy my animals. some fish deserve to be the pet, some the display. sometimes by personal preference and sometimes by the necessity of the fish. all depends what your going for. my largest tank is the bare tank, im striving for a tank full of monsters strictly for the fish.20120422_210827.jpg

20120422_210827.jpg

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I enjoy keeping a few fish that I can bond with, but in a nicely set up tank... I'm actually trying to figure out how to set up these mini ecosystems, on an extremely tight budget... but I definitely love the natural look...

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
for me the fish tell the tale, realistic.. or bare bottom... if the fish are healthy, and not just sitting in a corner when they should be swimming, or if more sedate shouldn't be dashing around. anything else is what makes you happy at the end of the day.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I'm not opposed to bare bottom tanks but I wouldn't keep a tank devoid of decor. My bare bottom tanks have holly rock or something of the ilk for the fish to explore/hide in. Typically I center it in the tank and it actually looks half decent.

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
Mine are all about the fish. I'm not really into planted aquariums, although, I can appreciate them. The planted tanks are just too much upkeep for me, and the fish I like (ca/sa cichlids) would just tear it all up anyway.

I keep mine with PFS, and some rocks, driftwood, and/or terra cotta pots. Easy upkeep stuff while still giving the fish atleast something to swim around/hide. All I have to do to keep my fish super healthy/happy is weekly water changes and vac some detritus off of the top of the sand, and that makes me pretty happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store