WHY is my channa not moving???

YYY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2022
So it begin with a purchase of a pair channa gachua/limbata 8 months ago, I seriously don't know which is it. And they came with 100+ fry however due to fungal infection I guess and all died. Its my first time keeping channa so I feel kinda bad. But now the both parents are not really swimming and decided to stay on the ground. I have tried to remove all the decoration and isolate both of them individually but they still stay the same. I hope some with experience can help me with this issue. THANK YOUUUUUU

BobsBitchyBottom

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2021
So it begin with a purchase of a pair channa gachua/limbata 8 months ago, I seriously don't know which is it. And they came with 100+ fry however due to fungal infection I guess and all died. Its my first time keeping channa so I feel kinda bad. But now the both parents are not really swimming and decided to stay on the ground. I have tried to remove all the decoration and isolate both of them individually but they still stay the same. I hope some with experience can help me with this issue. THANK YOUUUUUU
Hey.
Need a lot more info to help you figure this out! Were they moving around a lot in the tank where you bought them? They tend to be more active when they have fry. How long have you had them?
Did both the dry and parents have signs of fungal infection? Aka fuzzy, cotton-looking stuff on the fish/in the tank? If you are sure it was fungus, put in 5 g more/10 liter of however much aquarium salt you usually put in. If they're breathing is quick, raise the output of your filter to give them more oxygen into the water.
What temperature is your water?
Have you tested your water? Do they have places to hide, and surface cover such as floating plants? How is their breathing? Quick shallow breaths and them not coming up for air could be a sign that they're sick and/or stressed.
Try to stay calm and not disturb them too much. If your plants can handle it, turn the lights off or lessen amount of time they are on.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
What do you use to filter the tank the channa are in? Not that filters really matter for them but if your using one with very strong flow it came make them not to want to explore their tank because they dislike flow hence no filter or a gentle one is preferred .Bright lighting can also impact their behavior..the dimmer the better for channa

Reactions: BobsBitchyBottom

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For C gachua there are a couple location populations with differing needs, the northern Indian population prefers cooler water, and may easily fungus up if water is warm.
The southern population is just the opposite.
C limbatta prefers lower pH waters, pH 5 to not above 7.
C guachua is slightly more forgiving and can handle pH 7 and slightly above.
Neither appreciate any saltiness (chlorides).

Last edited:
Reactions: BobsBitchyBottom

YYY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2022
Hey.
Need a lot more info to help you figure this out! Were they moving around a lot in the tank where you bought them? They tend to be more active when they have fry. How long have you had them?
Did both the dry and parents have signs of fungal infection? Aka fuzzy, cotton-looking stuff on the fish/in the tank? If you are sure it was fungus, put in 5 g more/10 liter of however much aquarium salt you usually put in. If they're breathing is quick, raise the output of your filter to give them more oxygen into the water.
What temperature is your water?
Have you tested your water? Do they have places to hide, and surface cover such as floating plants? How is their breathing? Quick shallow breaths and them not coming up for air could be a sign that they're sick and/or stressed.
Try to stay calm and not disturb them too much. If your plants can handle it, turn the lights off or lessen amount of time they are on.
Sorry for the very late reply, just came back to check on the status. They were not very active, when I bought it they are already hiding under the aquatic plants and fry around them. Until now it has been two year and only one female left.
It does not show any sign of fungal infection, the morphology is perfectly fine.
The temperature is around 27 degree celcius normal room temperature here at Malaysia.
I have not tested the water, but a water change once per month and the water sources from natural river here. I did not place a hiding site for it.
I seldom see it come up and breath and it had been placed in a undisturbed condition for 2 years now. It also do not eat a lot or when we are feeding

YYY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2022
What do you use to filter the tank the channa are in? Not that filters really matter for them but if your using one with very strong flow it came make them not to want to explore their tank because they dislike flow hence no filter or a gentle one is preferred .Bright lighting can also impact their behavior..the dimmer the better for channa
I don't have a filter for it though. And no lighting too, thats why i don't place aquatic plant

YYY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2022
For C gachua there are a couple location populations with differing needs, the northern Indian population prefers cooler water, and may easily fungus up if water is warm.
The southern population is just the opposite.
C limbatta prefers lower pH waters, pH 5 to not above 7.
C guachua is slightly more forgiving and can handle pH 7 and slightly above.
Neither appreciate any saltiness (chlorides).
I am quite sure it should fit its natural habitat, as it is a native fish at Malaysia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store