Why we test (after a cycle is done)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I get the impression that most aquarists know the gist of why we test our tank water during the initial aquariums cycle, for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, but not later on after the tank is humming along.
Beyond the cycle, the tests become just numbers, and some may not realize their significance.
Testing after the cycling is done, is important to help determine water change schedule, and amount of water we change.

We also test after adding more fish, or plants, because this can temporarily or permanently change our water change routine.

Most of the time, our "tap" water will be fairly consistent, if from a large lake, or well (although it may not if our water source is a river that changes, with the seasons, or is a well influenced by agriculture)
But our tap water controls all, so every aquarist should learn its parameters.

Testing before and after water changes is very important.
It is the difference between before and after, that is most telling if our water change routine is sufficient.
Every tank is different, so although there are generic rules out there, many may choose to follow about water changes, your tanks may be radically different (especially when trying to house monster fish)
Most of the water change rules, and filtration norms (manufacturer specs) are based on a community tank of a few tetras, an angel fish, and some cory cats, "not" on 6 oscars, or 2 stingrays, or an Arowana.
If the water in the tank has drastically different water parameters just before a water change, than after, it means out water change schedule is probably not adequate, and volume not enough.
If after a water change pH is 8, but before is 6, it means the time during between water changes has allowing the water to acidify with fish urine, or other metabolism by-products. So more frequent water changes are needed to bring those two pH numbers closer together.(8 before, 7.6 after, is reasonable)
If after a water change your nitrate reading is 5ppm, but "before the water change" it was 40ppm, it also means there has been too much time lapse between water changes, and not enough cleaning of filter media. A more reasonable difference might be 5ppm nitrate after, 15ppm before.
Adding new fish may also change our parameters, a neon or 2 may not make a bump, but a new 6 inch oscar can turn a tanks urine soup mix upside down and require a doubling in frequency of water changes and frequency.
Testing the difference in pH and nitrate soon after adding that oscar is like the canary in the coal mine, if pH drops significantly, or nitrate increase, from the norm, your new purchase has just forced a change in your routine.
The buffering capacity (alkalinity) of your tap water may have a significant influence on water parameter disparity, which may mean even more frequent water changes are needed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I get the impression that most aquarists know the gist of why we test our tank water during the initial aquariums cycle, for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, but not later on after the tank is humming along.
Beyond the cycle, the tests become just numbers, and some may not realize their significance.
Testing after the cycling is done, is important to help determine water change schedule, and amount of water we change.

We also test after adding more fish, or plants, because this can temporarily or permanently change our water change routine.

Most of the time, our "tap" water will be fairly consistent, if from a large lake, or well (although it may not if our water source is a river that changes, with the seasons, or is a well influenced by agriculture)

Testing before and after water changes is very important.
It is the difference between before and after, that is most telling if our water change routine is sufficient.
Every tank is different, so although there are generic rules out there, many may choose to follow about water changes, your tanks may be radically different (especially when trying to house monster fish)
Most of the water change rules, and filtration norms (manufacturer specs) are based on a community tank of a few tetras, an angel fish, and some cory cats, "not" on 6 oscars, or 2 stingrays, or an Arowana.
If the water in the tank has drastically different water parameters just before a water change, than after, it means out water change schedule is probably not adequate, and volume not enough.
If after a water change pH is 8, but before is 6, it means the time during between water changes has allowing the water to acidify with fish urine, or other metabolism by-products. So more frequent water changes are needed to bring those two pH numbers closer together.(8 before, 7.6 after, is reasonable)
If after a water change your nitrate reading is 5ppm, but "before the water change" it was 40ppm, it also means there has been too much time lapse between water changes, and not enough cleaning of filter media. A more reasonable difference might be 5ppm nitrate after, 15ppm before.
Adding new fish may also change our parameters, a neon or 2 may not make a bump, but a new 6 inch oscar can turn a tanks urine soup mix upside down and require a doubling in frequency of water changes and frequency.
Testing the difference in pH and nitrate soon after adding that oscar is like the canary in the coal mine, if pH drops significantly, or nitrate increase, from the norm, your new purchase has just forced a change in your routine.
The buffering capacity (alkalinity) of your tap water may have a significant influence on water parameter disparity, which may mean even more frequent water changes are needed.

Thanks Duane for simplifying this in detail. This should be a instant sticky.

• Love
Reactions: Matteus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
After a tank is well established, I believe most experienced aquarists don't need to do much testing.
Once trends are established, and a proper water change and filter cleaning routine ironed out, the need to test is minimal.
Although I've been keeping fish over 60 years, I have recently moved to a new place, with new water, and a new set up, so I have been doing a lot of testing lately, and it reminded me of the why we test.
Another reason we test (especially when new to the hobby) is so that we don't make costly, and lethal mistakes.
If our water is hard, with a high pH (7.8-8.2 like mine), seeing something like wild Cardinal tetras or Uaru fernandezyepezi in a LFS, and adding them to our tank will probably be a disheartening experience.
Both come from soft, mineral poor water and prefer a pH range from 4-6.
And although there are many adaptable species to get, some require specific conditions, and knowing our own water supply, and comparing that to info googled about a species can help avoid costly mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishflyer

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I think a lot of us fall into the trap of having really good water change schedules and as a result become over confident that our parameters are always going to be good because our changes are frequent and large.

That may be the case in a lot of instances where tanks are lightly stocked with small fish but tanks with lots of hungry fast growing monsters are a different kettle of fish, pardon the pun. The bio load will increase as they grow and suddenly your fantastic water change schedule you had a month ago just isn't good enough any more. And those who rarely test their water then all of a sudden get a shock when for the first time in months they do a casual nitrate check.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
That may be the case in a lot of instances where tanks are lightly stocked with small fish but tanks with lots of hungry fast growing monsters are a different kettle of fish, pardon the pun. The bio load will increase as they grow and suddenly your fantastic water change schedule you had a month ago just isn't good enough any more. And those who rarely test their water then all of a sudden get a shock when for the first time in months they do a casual nitrate check.
I agree, or seemingly out of no-where, hole in the head (or some other bacterial malady like bloat) appears in fish that had been the pictures of health for a very long time.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The bio load will increase as they grow and suddenly your fantastic water change schedule you had a month ago just isn't good enough any more.
This just means that the tank was too small for the fish in the first place. An adequate size tank will catch up on the bioload if the fish is kept in a tank that can house it for life.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yet it has been my experience over the years, the vast majority do not. Many don't know whether their tap water is treated with chlorine, or chloramine, and many don't have the slightest clue what those disinfectant residuals are as they leave their taps. Basic entry level stuff, yet that has been my experience on this site, and others.

This just means that the tank was too small for the fish in the first place. An adequate size tank will catch up on the bioload if the fish is kept in a tank that can house it for life.

Exactly ....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Some tanks are set up as grow outs for this specific reason.

Using an adequate tanks size for life isnt always feasible

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store